Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

excruciating burning pain-what can this be?

Posted by rekha on 2/16/04 at 01:32 (144372)

Two weeks ago, on feb 5th, while fitting in my new orthotics, I developed burning pain in my left foot going up my ankle. I didnt worry about it. Few days later burning got worse and spread to other foot and hands/arms now. I havent slept in a week due to intense burning pain! I am also pregnant. I go to the doctor's office tomorrow. I am in excuciating burning pain, like someone doused me with gasoline.

what can I do?

I am a long-time pf sufferer. PF pain presents while walking, but this pain is unlike any I have had.

please any suggestions - I am in agony!

Re: excruciating burning pain-what can this be?

Dorothy on 2/16/04 at 02:21 (144374)

Please let us know what your doctor says about this. I know you are asking for help here now and maybe others have help to offer you, but if I am the only one awake and reading now, all I can say is I feel for you and hope that you get answers and help tomorrow when you see your doctor.
Is diabetes a possibility? Pregnancy brings with it so many changes. As your weight and hormones change, there could be so many possible causes - nerve problems, like inflammation, entrapment, etc. - diabetes, thyroid problems -
Does this feel like a surface burning, like burning skin? Or like an internal burning sensation? Is it constant? Is it worsening?
You might spend your time tonight if you can't sleep writing down a list of detailed descriptions, questions, concerns about your condition so you feel prepared for your appt. tomorrow. You might also do some internet searching on your symptomes - that might lead you to some information. It is so hard to be unable to sleep for any reason, but for the reason you are describing, it must be just awful. Have you tried a hot bath? Or maybe a cool bath? I wish I could be of more help but I do hope you will let us know what you learn - and even more I hope you feel better. Best wishes ~

Re: excruciating burning pain-what can this be?

Dorothy on 2/16/04 at 02:22 (144375)

I'm so sorry - I see now that you posted this to Ask the Foot Doctors. Please disregard my post to you. Too often, I only look at the category too late. Sorry again ~

Re: I am in agony

rekha on 2/16/04 at 08:11 (144386)

Couldnt sleep all night, the burning is non stop. I am going to the doctor's today. I cannot imagine going thru 9 months like this. I am just seeing a regular Dr.

Doctors out there, what do you think?

please respond

rekha on 2/17/04 at 14:49 (144482)

why has anyone not responded? do the doctor's think im making this up?

last night the burning stopped, but I am still having nerve pain in left foot

Dr. Z on 2/18/04 at 09:21 (144583)

I have no idea what this could be without an examination. Sorry