Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yippee!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Necee on 2/16/04 at 08:27 (144387)

We had SNOW Saturday, it was absolutely beautiful!!
4 inches might not seem like much to you folks up north, but for us here in Texas it was quite a lot. We sat at the kitchen window in our little log cabin drinking coffee while watching the dogs romp and play in the snow. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me at the farm, but did borrow my cousins and was able to take 3 pictures.
We have lots of evergreens, and it was so picturesque!

Necee

Re: Yippee!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne D. on 2/16/04 at 09:34 (144390)

Oh, how nice for you, Necee! =D> And I think 4 inches is a lot of snow. So often, we only have an inch or two. We may go several years with very little snow, then we may have a winter with several snows of 5 or 6 inches. But those don't come very often. We are more likely to miss school for a coating of ice than for snow.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the beauty of the snow from your cabin! You'll have to post a picture or two for us.

I slept late today which was a treat. School is dismissed for President's Day.

Suzanne :)

JudyS on 2/16/04 at 12:30 (144399)

Necee I am so jealous of your snow! Do you think you can post the photos you took?

Julie on 2/16/04 at 16:54 (144419)

Judy, if you want to see snow, have a look at these! The whole of Greece including Crete, had snow over the weekend. It always snows in the mountains, never at the coast, but there were eight inches at the coast on Saturday and much more in the mountains. Friends who live in the foothills tell me there were two-foot snowdrifts, and it even snowed on Gavdos, a tiny island south of Crete, which is just a 150 miles from Africa. The whole island was brought to a standstill, mountain villages completely cut off, all roads impassable, and a state of emergency declared.

These photos were taken by a friend of mine who lives in Crete. Enjoy!

Re: Re:Whoopsee!!

Julie on 2/16/04 at 16:56 (144420)

Here's the link to the snowpics - sorry! :)

http://www.west-crete.com/crete-daily-photo.htm

JudyS on 2/16/04 at 17:11 (144421)

Julie those photos are breathtaking - especially the one of Chania with that entire valley covered in snow!

marie on 2/16/04 at 19:20 (144423)

Beautiful photos Julie!

It looks alot like here accept no mountains. It was a whopping 8 degrees today.

wendyn on 2/16/04 at 21:49 (144435)

Beautiful pictures (looks sort of like home...except for the architecture!)

Suzanne D. on 2/16/04 at 21:56 (144438)

Wow! Thanks for sharing these, Julie! I do love 'visiting' other places by way of pictures that you all post.

Suzanne :)

Julie on 2/17/04 at 01:57 (144447)

I'm so glad you all like the snow pictures. It really is a one-off occurrence: as far as I know there has NEVER been snow at sea level before, and it has been very exciting for my friends there. Not so nice for those trying to get to the island - Athens airport was closed, as well as the two Cretan airports, and some folks spent 40 hours (!!) in Thessaloniki airport waiting for the runways to be de-iced and the weather to clear.

Anyway - if you liked these, you can see lots more wonderful photos of Crete by going to http://www.west-crete.com and clicking on 'photos'. This is a brilliant website, hosted by a guy who lives there and whom I know; he is an excellent photographer and there are hundreds of good pics on the site.

Re: Yippee!!!!!!!!! Judy

Necee on 2/17/04 at 08:37 (144461)

Yes Judy....I'll show the pics as soon as my cousin gets them developed.

Necee

Re: Yippee!!!!!!!!! Judy

Kathy G on 2/17/04 at 16:28 (144501)

It was on the news here that Texas had snow, Necee, and I wondered if you were in the area that got it. I'm glad you were and that you enjoyed it! It is so pretty, isn't it. Although I've lived in New England my whole life, I still think snow, when it first falls and before the plows and people dirty it, is just the prettiest thing. And of course, as the saying goes, the two most beautiful snowfalls of the year are the first---and the last!

Julie, those pictures of Crete are breathtaking. Your friend is an excellent photographer. I've marked the site so I can go back at my leisure and check it out more closely. Thanks for the posting.