Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dream come true... so far!

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 2/16/04 at 20:01 (144425)

It was sunny, crisp, and gorgeous here today. I sure hope it lasts! Weather permitting, I've been walking a half mile to a mile every day outside at 3 mph, which is a brisk and aerobic pace for me at this time. What beautiful weather for walking! The sun was shining, and the birds were tweeting; better than most days when I walk.

I also ride my exercycle indoors every day for about 3.5 miles in about 15 minutes, at the easiest resistance setting.

Those of you who have known me all this time, KNOW that this is a dream come true for me! I only wish that everybody here could share in this dream come true. Some day, I hope.

My feet are doing fine with this, so far. I have to wear my SAS shoes with custom orthotics to ride the exercycle, and I have to wear my NB 991's to walk. The 991's have the extra cushioning I need in order to walk on the sidewalks in my neighborhood, but I feel more secure on my exercycle with the support of my custom orthotics which are fitted to my SAS shoes.

I have to pay close attention to my feet because whether I'm walking or cycling, when they get tired they flop about rather alarmingly and I need to keep them in line. Guess that must be either tired muscles or remnants of MS, or both. But again, so far so good.

I'm thinking that maybe a treadmill might be in order by July or August, when the heat here in New Orleans becomes so oppressive. But I am hesitant about treadmills for the obvious reasons, my feet!! I've read a lot of posts here from people who got PF on a treadmill. Just do a search on 'treadmill' if you want to get scared silly. I've never even been on one before and I have no idea if it would aggravate my PF as much as it would aggravate my pocketbook to buy one.

Meanwhile I've got five months to build up distance and strength by walking outside, and to think about whether I want to risk another bout of PF, which would mean losing all that I've gained. Then of course, there's the question of where to put such a big thing. I would get a high quality one with extra cushioning if I got one, like maybe this one:
http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1271293&cp=710956&clickid=body_bestsell_txt

Carole C (18.4 pounds lighter, and working on it)

Re: Dream come true... so far!

Suzanne D. on 2/16/04 at 20:51 (144430)

Congratulations, Carole!! =D> I am so proud of you! Your persistence and patience as well as your intelligence in battling PF have brought about good things for you. That is wonderful news.

My husband bought a treadmill years ago, and he did use it for quite a while. I tried it some (before PF), but it almost made me dizzy somehow. I think I looked down too much. It never felt like 'real' walking to me, and I always felt as if I was 'fighting' with it, if that makes any sense. All that could have been due to my ignorance in how to set the pace or just because I am naturally clutzy! :)

I wonder if there are any indoor tracks near you on which you might walk when the weather gets too hot. I know there are Christian Life Centers around here that open their doors to others outside their church group so that people can come and walk indoors. Also, people here can go to the mall in our nearest town and walk an hour before the stores open. Perhaps you might find a place not too far away which would accomodate your walking if you decide not to invest in a treadmill.

Keep up the good work! @};-

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/16/04 at 21:47 (144433)

Thanks for the good ideas to investigate indoor tracks and malls! After reading your post, I am thinking about walking in the mall. For one thing, I could save the $1400 cost of the treadmill (and that is not peanuts on my salary). I need to investigate local malls and find out if any of them have measured distances. I can also ask around about 'mallwalkers' groups.

I don't know of any indoor tracks, except at gyms (and I would rather not pay for a gym if it's not necessary). But maybe a mall would turn out to be all right. I am really trying to short circuit the impulse to buy a treadmill. That extra money could help pay off my mortgage, instead. Another thing I could do is try walking in place indoors during August. Most of the year, walking outside is a reasonable thing to do in New Orleans.

Like you, I tend to look down when I walk (even outside). I read that it is best to look up, so now my eyes go back and forth. I think we are smart to look down because then we won't trip and fall.

Carole C

wendyn on 2/16/04 at 21:48 (144434)

Congratulations Carole!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/16/04 at 21:50 (144436)

Thanks, Wendy! I am so happy about it :D

Carole C

Dorothy on 2/16/04 at 22:38 (144439)

Carole ~ What a happy note! Your post is full of hope and optimism - and the importance of persistence and planning. This is great and inspiring news!
As to a treadmill - you said you have never even been on one and you have trepidation about the investment. Given that, why not try one out for a while to see what you think? Maybe a gym membership or a 'Y' membership on a short-term basis to see how you react to it..? Maybe one of the colleges or junior colleges in your area lets 'townies' use their facilities for a fee? Maybe you could just include a stop at a Sears on your (possible) mall-walks and use their treadmill each day for a while..? :-)

Whatever you decide, your current news is great. Congratulations.

Julie on 2/17/04 at 02:13 (144449)

Carole, this is wonderful! It really is a dream come true, and you'll have given hope to every other dreamer here too.

I agree with Suzanne and Dorothy. The Reebok treadmill looks good, and I can see why you're tempted, but it IS a huge investment for something that you might get tired of, as many who aren't gym afficionados do. After I joined the gym last year I enjoyed the treadmill for a few months, and then didn't any more. Nothing happened to put me off it, I just got bored. I'm sure it would be wise to get a short term gym membership as Dorothy suggests, or walk in the mall as Suzanne suggests. Or perhaps just increase your exercycle time: you enjoy it, and it's just as good aerobically.

About orthotics - you know me, Carole: I wouldn't walk a step outdoors without mine. I know you feel differently, and I'm not trying to persuade you, but I just worry about the thought of your feet 'flopping about' without the support that your orthotics were made to give them. Perhaps you feel that orthotics are like 'crutches' that you have to learn to go without, but they're not like that: if your feet need their support they need it when you're weight-bearing, just as much as they do on your cycle.
I say this out of real concern for you and your feet, so please just ignore me if you feel differently. :)

Paul S on 2/17/04 at 07:33 (144455)

Carole, You might consider the Concept2 rower which is a great cardio and strength machine combined. It has the added benefit of being easy on your joints. It is about 7' 11' long but breaks in half easily for storage in a closet or corner. Here is their site address.

http://www.concept2.com/

Good luck whicheever way you go - Paul S

Necee on 2/17/04 at 08:34 (144460)

Way to go girl!!!!!
I'm so happy for you, I wish I lived nearby, we'd walk together.

Happy trails......

Necee

JudyS on 2/17/04 at 10:47 (144467)

Wow Carole this is terrific news! You inspire us! Keep up the good feelings for yourself...

Kathy G on 2/17/04 at 16:10 (144499)

Carole,

What a great report! To have already lost 18.4 pounds and be walking that much, as well as riding your bike! Wow!=D> It takes a great deal of self-discipline and you should be so proud of yourself!

I don't recommend a treadmill based on personal experience. When I was going from exercise type to exercise type in an effort to continue to exercise, we bought a good treadmill from Sears. I don't remember what kind it is and it's downstairs and my feet hurt too much to check right now! What I do know is that despite the fact that it is padded, it really hurt my feet. I didn't find it boring because I either read a book while I was on it or watched a favorite video. When I mentioned that it hurt more than walking outdoors, my Pod said that a treadmill just can't replicate one's normal gait and that most people find it doesn't work for them. My husband, who doesn't have PF, uses it in the winter as part of his indoor exercise regime and it doesn't bother him but I would hesitate if I had PF. (Oh, I do!#-o)

When I read your message, I immediately thought of mall walking, too. We have two malls within a half hour of my house where they have mall walking groups who walk early in the day, before the stores open. You could also just go and walk any time of day and I see people do it all the time. Today, as a matter of fact, I had to briefly go to the mall, and since my feet weren't too great and I had other errands to do, I decided to drive to right outside my destination store. Then, after I had made my return, I went out into the mall and walked just a little bit and sure enough, I passed two women who were wearing running suits and had on running shoes, walking at a very brisk pace. So you could do it any time the mall was open.

The problem here is that the malls' floors are just tile on concrete so they're pretty hard. But if you've been walking outside, that shouldn't make any difference. I know that our local health club has an indoor jogging track that is padded and lots of people walk there, much to the runners chagrin. You should check it out.

Once again, congratulations!

Kathy G on 2/17/04 at 16:12 (144500)

Ah, I didn't mean to check out our local health club. It's a long commute from NOLA to NH! I should quit while I'm ahead!!!!

Paul S on 2/17/04 at 16:56 (144505)

I used to mall walk. There are a lot of points in its favor, rest rooms, climate controlled, water fountains, no stopping for stop signs or lights, no dogs, plenty of window shopping to keep your mind off the walking, and a Starbucks for a refreshing end to your walk. My only trouble was the hard surfaces bothered my heel more then my treadmill.

Cheers - Paul S

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/04 at 19:53 (144520)

Thank you, Julie and Suzanne and others, for bringing me to my senses concerning the treadmill. It really does make a lot more sense to investigate mall walking, indoor tracks, gym memberships, walking outdoors early on summer mornings when it's cooler, and so on, before running out and plunking down $1400 for a treadmill (as tempting as that is). I really can't afford one. Well, I can, but I do not normally spend that much in a month; I am saving for retirement and trying to pay off my mortgage right now.

Julie, we do think differently about orthotics, but naturally I respect your opinion and ideas a great deal. I will make a great effort to be as vigilant as possible, and to control my gait so that my feet don't do that. If I notice any twinges of pain or problems, I'll back off. I do know that you say this out of genuine concern for me and for my feet, and thank you for this!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/04 at 19:54 (144521)

Thanks for the link and suggestion, Paul! Being easy to store is a great attribute. I'll take a look. :)

And thanks for the good wishes.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/04 at 19:54 (144522)

I wish we did too! I'm glad you are feeling well enough to walk too, these days. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/04 at 19:57 (144523)

Thanks, Judy! I am feeling wonderful. Every day is one of those 'I AM WOMAN!' experiences. Just kidding, halfway, but being able to do things is a wonderful feeling.

It's so sad and ironic that your feet would be messing up just when mine are finally behaving! Hopefully you'll be better quickly and feeling pain free again. At least you know where to go in order to get a variety of opinions on different treatments. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/04 at 20:03 (144525)

Thanks for the good ideas!

Another one that I had, is to get up an hour early on summer mornings. I normally get up at 5:30 AM. If I got up at 4:30, I could put on shorts and some sort of cool flimsy top, and go walk. It might be cooler then, and at least in the dark or pre-dawn light I would probably feel less self conscious about wearing fewer clothes. :)

Then I could shower and go to work. I guess the success or failure of that possible plan would lie in how hot it REALLY is at 4:30 AM in New Orleans in August. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/04 at 20:08 (144526)

It's hard to predict, but I think I could probably handle the hard surfaces since I'm doing all right on sidewalks. Of course, the sidewalks in my neighborhood are a little uneven, so I'm using my leg muscles a lot and that may be protecting my feet a little.

I wonder how I could find a measured distance in a mall? Maybe a mallwalkers' group could tell me, but I don't know how to find those groups.

Carole C

wendyn on 2/17/04 at 20:09 (144527)

That's funny Carole. When I first read about you being concerned about walking outside..I wondered 'Gees - how cold can it possibly get in New Orleans..put on a coat!'

Never occured to me that it might be too hot!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/04 at 20:11 (144528)

That is definitely hilarious! Yes, the heat and humidity in New Orleans during the summer are oppressive to a legendary degree. Imagine walking into your oven at home. Just walking 20 feet from work to my car can cause me to 'melt'.

So far, it has only been too cold once or twice; I enjoy walking when it's 50 F or so, although it's a little chilly when not walking.

Carole C

wendyn on 2/17/04 at 20:15 (144530)

Carole, even when it's 'very hot' here (by that I mean maybe 35C)...we are high enough up that it really cools off at night.

I was in Boston once when it was a temp and humidity in the high 90's (F) for several days. It was horrible.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/04 at 20:18 (144531)

New Orleans is even worse than Boston, in the summer! The temperature does not go over 100 much, but the humidity is unbearable. We have a saying here, 'It's not the heat; it's the humidity!'

Thank goodness for air conditioning. We don't generally have snow in the winter, but we do 'pay' for that in the summertime.

Carole C

Paul S on 2/17/04 at 21:01 (144535)

Carole, Most malls usually have a courtesy desk, info for walkers such
as how many laps make a mile should be available there. Climate control
would be a big point in Nawlins.

Cheers - Paul S

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/04 at 21:50 (144536)

Thank you, Paul! I didn't think of checking the courtesy desk. I'll do that. :)

Carole C

Dorothy on 2/18/04 at 00:18 (144550)

That saying is applied in all humid climates and it has a desert corollary: 'it's a dry heat' - that's said when it's 110 degrees at midnight! Here's a quiz question: what's the 'perfect' climate?
Here are my nominees: San Diego. Colorado. Maine. Northern Michigan.

Dorothy on 2/18/04 at 00:21 (144551)

Maybe a pedometer? Or maybe go for time rather than distance?

Dorothy on 2/18/04 at 00:21 (144552)

Would you feel safe then?

Julie on 2/18/04 at 01:25 (144559)

You'd probably find that at 4.30am NOLA is as cool as it's possible for it to be! I think that's a great idea, if you can get up that early. A long time ago, when we were having a serious heat wave in London, I used to do something similar: I was riding my bike to work regularly at the time, and found that if I started off early enough it was just about cool enough. Getting home again was a different story.

Returning to the orthotics subject, Carole, yes, let's agree to differ. But I'm glad you understand that I'm concerned. You could ask your CPed what she thinks about your wearing or not wearing them all the time (or Richard)?

I liked the idea of the Concept rowing maching. It really is good all-over exercise, and I would think a lot better for one's post-PF feet than the treadmill. But a climate-controlled, fitness-friendly mall - now that has to be the ultimate walking experience!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 08:39 (144575)

Thanks for the suggestions, Dorothy! :) I think you are right; why spend $1400 on something when I don't even know what it's like?

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 08:41 (144576)

I lived in San Diego for 7 years, and it's too dry for me. I like the climate in Hawaii the best. South Florida is nice, too.

Carole C

john h on 2/18/04 at 08:52 (144578)

As a young boy (6-10) we all went barefooted in the summer in my hometown of Muphy, N.C. I remember one summer I made my first trip to Atlanta with my mother and father. Even went to the Atlanta Airport where they had about 3 DC-3's surrounded by a wire fence. Not much of an airport. Anyway, I was barefooted and the heat from the asphalt I was walking on had me hopping all over the place to the point that is all I remember about that trip other than seeing 3 airplanes up close. Going barefoot your feet really get tough to the point you could almost walk across glass. I hate to publish this but I even wore knickers. I must have been sort of a sissy thinking about that.

john h on 2/18/04 at 08:55 (144579)

Carole: Speaking of getting up early get this: Yesterday the first Crispy Cream Donut shop opened in Little Rock. The line begin to form a 3 am in the moring and when they opened there was a line of cars over a mile long. I drove by around 2pm and there were police still directing traffic. Helicopters still hovering overhead. Guess what they located next to? The Arkansas Heart Hospital! Now that is appropriate.

Kathy G on 2/18/04 at 09:14 (144582)

That is so funny, John! We don't have any Krispy Kremes here in NH yet. They tell me it is the hot stock to buy, however, as it continues to increase in value. My husband has a retired friend who is quite savvy about investing in the stock market. He's done very well. He and his wife live a very healthy lifestyle, almost to the point of being finatics. Two years ago, he wanted to buy stock in Krispy Kreme and his wife wouldn't hear of it because she said he would be contributing to the general decline of American's health. To this day, he bemoans the fact that he listened to her as his investment would have returned huge profit.

Another friend goes to Boston and stops at a Krispy Kreme in Wellington Circle, which I think is the only place they have one. He considers it a pilgrimage of some kind! Until the movie, with John Travolta, that was losely based on Bill Clinton's candidacy, the name of which I can't recall, I had never even heard of Krispy Kremes! I just knew they movie blew it when they had him going to one in NH because all we have are Dunkin' Donuts. And I'll bet Bill tried plenty of those while on the campaign trail in NH!

Julie on 2/18/04 at 11:08 (144597)

John you weren't a sissy! Everyone of your (our) age wore knickers in those (bygone) days. I'll bet you looked cool. (Not a word we'd have recognised back then...

Lari S on 2/18/04 at 11:20 (144601)

That sounds like my husband. His pilgrimage to Krispy Kreme takes 45 minutes to get to. He sees it as his big treat once a month. Being a diabetic, I've never indulged, but he seems to wax poetic as he describes it 'melting' in his mouth as I sip my coffee.

Lari

Lari S on 2/18/04 at 11:27 (144603)

Carole,
I am so thrilled for you that the exercise bike/walking is going so well. Congratulations on the weight loss. I know when I went to the gym that I got really bored on the treadmill (I would rather be outside) and it really bothered my feet. For much less than $1400, you could buy a pedometer at a sporting goods store, and it is a lot easier to store. A mall is a great place to walk. If you can't make it in the mornings, you can always stop by in the evening to walk and enjoy people watching.
Lari

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 11:49 (144606)

John: I think Krispy Kreme has got some high powered promoters. When they came to Metairie (the first one in the New Orleans area), they had the helicopters, the police directing traffic, the lines a mile long, and so on. It was reported on all the TV news and radio stations, and so a lot of people showed up. Krispy Kreme was giving out free donuts to those waiting for the drive through, and everybody was dying to try one.

During the past year, I've never seen more than one person in the drive through. I think that was all hype!

I have to drive by it every day, since my house is right down the block. But right now I can think of a lot of things I'd rather spend my Weight Watchers points on, than Krispy Kreme doughnuts; they really aren't very filling, are they? Besides, if I eat that kind of food my blood sugar skyrockets.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 11:58 (144607)

John, as a young girl growing up in Hawaii I was proud that I could break a bottle with my feet, or burst the bubble of a Portuguese Man O' War with my feet on the beach. We would climb coconut trees barefoot, too. Our feet were very tough, and we went barefoot almost all the time. Those asphalt streets still felt hot, though.

I never had any foot problems back then other than blisters on the rare occasion when I tried to wear shoes. I never even heard of anyone having foot problems. But I could not do those things now, because I am older and for whatever reason, my feet probably will never be that tough again.

Knickers? Now you are showing your age. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 12:13 (144610)

I would feel safe in my immediate neighborhood. There are several retired people that walk very early like that. I often see one or two of them when I leave for work (at 5:50), and they wave hello. If nobody else is walking at 4:30, and if it feels creepy, I could try walking at 5:30.

Carole C

Dorothy on 2/18/04 at 14:10 (144613)

You make a good point, especially when you consider how tired your feet and legs get after mall-shopping. In my opinion, it is a much more tiring kind of walking than anything else. Possibly extremely well-cushioned footwear would help with that problem.
I have found the dream place to walk (although now it is covered in ice and snow so not so good at present) and that is a wonderful trail that is covered with a deep layer of bark and needles. When it is soft (non-winter), it is a heavenly walking place.

Paul S on 2/18/04 at 14:17 (144614)

Mall walking is different than mall shopping. Most of the malls open their doors to employees and walkers at 08:00AM so there are very few people there to get in your way. You can walk as fast or as slow as you want. I hate the mall shopping walk mainly due to the idiots who step out of stores right in front of you. There is just less and less courtesy all the time.

Cheers - Paul S

john h on 2/18/04 at 15:58 (144625)

Seems those guys from Kenya and Ethopia can run world record time marathons barefooted.

john h on 2/18/04 at 16:00 (144626)

Carol we are day two with Crispy Creame and the car lines are still one mile long all day long with traffic police directing them. I bet the heart hospital next door is preparing for some new business. I do not get this?

john h on 2/18/04 at 16:02 (144627)

Julie: I think somewhere I have a picture of me in those knickers. I may post it up which should bring some wonderful comments.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 16:03 (144628)

Thanks, Lari! Like you, I'd rather be outside when it's possible. After reading all the excellent suggestions from everyone in this thread, I am thinking that the treadmill is not what I need in the near future. I think I'll try more than one of the other approaches.

I can try walking early in the morning when it's not raining, and if it's not too hot. If I can't walk in the morning, then I can try the malls. With any luck I can find a mall with a measured course, but if not I can try a pedometer. And, if the concrete in the malls turns out to be too hard on my feet (in comparison with the usual, irregular concrete sidewalks I normally walk on), then I could look into gyms and other facilities with indoor tracks.

I just found out that a new local park also has an interesting jogging track that winds around the park, along with exercise stations along the track. That sounds like fun on days with reasonable weather. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 16:04 (144629)

In a few weeks or 2-3 months at most, the lines will be shorter. Trust me! :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 16:08 (144631)

Sometimes I daydream about what it would be like to have that kind of ability! My goals are so much lower! :)

I suspect that if they had grown up in a city with shoes on and concrete surfaces to run on, and Krispy Kreme doughnuts to make them fat, they would never be able to do that.

Carole C

Julie on 2/18/04 at 16:47 (144645)

John

I wait with bated breath.

Paul S on 2/18/04 at 16:52 (144647)

I guess that is better than waiting with baited breath.

Cheers - Paul S

Suzanne D. on 2/18/04 at 20:51 (144655)

Carole, you have some good ideas for walking during rainy or too hot weather, and I know you'll make the most of them. And I must say that anyone who contemplates getting up at 4:30 in order to exercise has my unwavering respect! :> Many people find it difficult to discipline themselves to stick with an exercise program. You're an encouragement to everyone!

wendyn on 2/18/04 at 21:36 (144663)

John, I think I'd be willing to pay money to see that picture. Actually no - I'd be willing to pay money to see you in a pair of those knickers NOW!

wendyn on 2/18/04 at 21:37 (144664)

John, we are expecting to get Crispy Creme here some time in the summer. I tried them in Chicago last year. They were very good, and it was fun to watch them being made.

Fun, but not worth waiting in line for hours....

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 22:25 (144669)

One thing that many of us have in common is that while our PF was bad, it took away the capability to exercise as we once did or to do other things that we once did. That is so depressing!

But also, I think that it made me realize how lucky we are, when we are in a condition that we can do these things (such as before PF). I guess that's why I am so determined to walk and ride my exercycle, now while I can.

As for getting up at 4:30 to exercise, I guess that erases all doubts... I'm a morning person. :lol

Carole C

Dorothy on 2/18/04 at 22:30 (144670)

Hype, my friend. Like sheep, (creatures I, a weaver and knitter, hate to malign 'cause I like 'em a lot) , people will line up for anything they are told is 'it.' Look at the Democratic campaign. Plus, Krispy Kremes got double-hyped by movie stars, so that really makes the sheep drool.

I hate to admit this, but we are a family of doughnut nuts (or donuts, if anyone prefers). We have a short list of things for which we are nuts (chocolate malts, good BBQ, doughnuts and a few other things). One year we even got t-shirts for Christmas that said something like 'donuts made me what I am today'. This is a very slender family, so far... So, being doughnut nuts/afficianados, we have done quite a few comparison tastings. I had been reading and hearing about Krispy Kremes for years and was very (embarrased here) excited when Krispy Kreme came to my town. In my own family of origin and in my current 'married' family, we have a history of going to the doughnut shops when they are taking them 'hot off the presses' so to speak. Now,I am considered a pretty good cook and I know my way around the kitchen and I'm here to tell you a startling opinion. In my household, we have reached the conclusion that a hot, fresh doughnut from the local WalMart doughnut cauldron is better than the comparable Krispy Kreme. Bigger, cheaper, tastier, less 'nothing' and more honest/no hype. The Krispy Kreme is a good doughnut, but it's even less substantial than most doughnuts - something like glazed air. I'm an iconoclast in most areas of life, so the doughnut opinion may not be shared by anyone else here or elsewhere - but it is my doughnut opinion. I wish I had a good doughnut right now. What I really love is a great blueberry muffin. With butter.
I saw this saying recently: I'm in shape. I'm round. Round's a shape.

Julie on 2/19/04 at 02:11 (144679)

'Baited' breath sounds painful, Paul. It makes me think of a fish with a hook in its throat.

Where's the knicker photo, John?

PS. A little education for those unfamiliar with British English - 'knickers', here, are female underwear.

Re: doughnuts...

Suzanne D. on 2/19/04 at 06:13 (144683)

Hi, Dorothy! As I sit eating my bowl of Total this morning, I will agree with you that Krispy Kreme doughnuts don't rank that high with me, either. My daughter really likes them, and when we have gone somewhere
that has one of their stores, she and her father always like to stop.

When I was a Brownie Scout, we made doughnuts by deep frying biscuit dough and then rolling in sugar and cinnamon. I haven't had one of those in years and years, and maybe they wouldn't seem the same to me now, but they always were my favorite kind of doughnut. No other doughnut ever quite measured up to them. Maybe it was the thrill of making them.

For me, no doughnut is worth the calories. But now brownies or chocolate chip cookies, they're another story! :D

Paul S on 2/19/04 at 06:44 (144688)

I guess baited breath brings to my mind that horrid reality show, 'Fear Factor' Life is reality enough for me. When it comes to entertainment I want to escape reality, seeing John in knickers though would be unreal-ity.
So what is the record for the longest thread on this site?

Paul S

john h on 2/19/04 at 10:51 (144702)

yikes Julie! Female underware! Be assured my knickers are the kind some of the golfers once wore.

john h on 2/19/04 at 10:52 (144703)

I have never tasted a Krispy Kreme but the name itself makes me want one.

Re: another kind of knickers

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/04 at 15:01 (144722)

In high school gym class, we wore short navy blue cotton tunics with 2' wide box pleats, and with matching navy blue cotton knickers underneath.

The knickers were quite voluminous and were just to cover our underwear if our tunics flew up during activities. They were made of a stiff, harsh weave that would have been very uncomfortable as real underwear, and they were gathered with heavy duty elastic around the legs. They also gave us something into which we could tuck our white blouses worn under the tunics.

I don't think most kids these days even know what a tunic IS! much less knickers.

Carole C

Dorothy on 2/19/04 at 16:05 (144728)

Not to mention the fact that we all had to wear the same uniform outfit for P.E. class AND at our school anyway, they had to be not only washed, but ironed as well, or you got demerits. Ours weren't tunics but were a one piece button-front, mid-thigh length unit, P.E. blue color. I had older sisters so mine had been passed down a few times by the time I got them. Ah, P.E. and gymsuits and showers and dank locker rooms!

Julie on 2/19/04 at 16:51 (144737)

:) I knew that would get you, John.

Now, where's that photo?

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/04 at 18:32 (144739)

Yes, washed, ironed, and don't forget starched! The knickers included, and that was in the days before convenient spray starch.

Yet another reason why nobody wore them as underwear. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/20/04 at 08:31 (144776)

This discussion of donuts is interesting, Dorothy. One of my favorite dietary splurges is a honey dip coffee roll from Dunkin'Donuts. I heat it in the microwave, put on a little margarine (only Smart Balance in my house, as if with all the fat in this roll it would matter) and have it with a cup of my own instant decaf coffee, the only kind I like. Ah, that is pure heaven! I allow myself this for lunch about once a month but haven't had any since Christmas because I gained five pounds and have lost only three of it. I have vowed no splurges until the other two are gone!

You mention hot donuts from WalMart. And I've read that Krispy Kreme is known for hot donuts. Here in New England, I don't think anyone serves hot donuts. Maybe some of the local small bakeries but they are becoming obsolete as chains keep coming in. Although I'm not big on donuts, if Krispy Kreme ever opens around here, I'm sure I'll try one, just to experience the taste. If they make honey dip coffee rolls, I won't even try one because I just can't tempt myself!

Our small town has three Dunkin' Donuts and I believe it's because the fellow who owns all three franchises is a smart businessman and is trying to cover all his bases in preparation for the Krispy Kremes that are sure to come.

Paul S on 2/20/04 at 08:44 (144783)

Having a Krispy Kreme is like eating warm sugarized air. They are like no donut you've ever tasted. Kathy, instant coffee? They do have decaffenated beans. Buy some, get a little coffee grinder. You'll have decaf coffee that will compare very favoravly with regular.

cheers - Paul S

john h on 2/20/04 at 09:15 (144787)

Carole: When I was in high school the girls all had Phys Ed either 3 or 5 times a week. They all wore blue uniforms with what I would call bloomers for pants. They played a lot of field hockey among other things.

Kathy G on 2/20/04 at 12:22 (144815)

Paul,

I have a coffee grinder. My husband likes coffee and drinks only perked but I honestly like my instant Folgers! I probably wouldn't even drink coffee if I couldn't have my instant! I live in constant fear that they will discontinue it because obviously, with the emergence of coffeehouses, people disdain instant and demand is lowering. My sister-in-law and her children help to keep Starbucks in business and they just cringe at my poor taste! Can't help it! Some of us just have less cultured taste buds, I guess!!