Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Hilary G. or Ali

Posted by Dorothy on 2/17/04 at 00:20 (144444)

Hello to Hillary G. or Ali or other A.R.T. participants!

This is about your A.R.T. experiences. A poster has written about a technique that he says was very helpful to him. He is John T. and his message is #144409. He is writing about 'muscle release therapy'.
I was wondering if either/both of you could take a look at the link he posted for this technique. At that link under Plantar Fasciitis, the PT describes in some detail his technique. If you look at this, can you tell us if this is like A.R.T.?? Is this another name for what has been described here under A.R.T.?

Thanks much.

Re: Question for Hilary G. or Ali

HilaryG on 2/17/04 at 17:20 (144507)

Dorothy- I looked at the website mentioned in John T's post and it sounds a lot like ART to me, but I can't say for sure. Hilary

Julie on 2/18/04 at 01:06 (144557)

Dorothy, I had a look too, and it sounded from the description, and looked from the photos, as though the MRT technique is based more on stretching than on deep tissue massage (as I understand ART to be). I'm sure Michael Young would know, and would tell if emailed - why not try that?

HilaryG on 2/18/04 at 08:38 (144573)

My chiro has always said that ART is NOT deep tissue massage but rather stretching of the muscle and tendon. So MRT does sound a lot like ART according to my understanding and experience. However I am no expert. But it is most certainly NOT deep tissue massage. Anyone who has experienced it can tell you that.(No disrespect meant, Julie. I am one of your biggest fans. I am a yoga student and much appreciative of all of your advice.)

Julie on 2/18/04 at 10:12 (144591)

Thanks, Hilary - I must have misunderstood (or not read carefully enough!) Thanks for putting me straight on this.