Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Injury

Posted by Jennifer F on 2/17/04 at 14:33 (144481)

About 3 weeks ago, I hit the inside of my heel on the door facing of my bathroom. When I hit it, the pain was so strong it took my breath away. I fell to the floor and laid there for several minutes crying. Now, I'm not a whimp when it comes to pain. I've broken my back in four places before and this pain was worse than that. Since then, I've not been able to walk right. The inside of my heel hurts constantly, throbbing with the beat of my heart. Swelling is minimal and comes and goes. I'm down to one pair of shoes I can wear (my walking tennis shoes) and I can't even tie them. I've tried to read up on what it could be without racking up more doctor bills (my husband's been off work for sickness since December) and I can't figure it out. The pain sounds like what is consistent with Plantar Fascitis (sp?) but it never goes away. It hurts when I first get up, when I've been up for a while, and when I'm laying down. From what I've read, it's difficult to break your heel bone, but I swear that's what I think I did. Could it be possible to crack that bone simply by wacking it pretty hard on the door frame? I was falling anyway and I was trying not to step on my cat and that's when I cracked it on the door. The pain is centered right at the point of impact. Fortunately, the cat is okay.

any ideas????

Re: Heel Injury

BrianJ on 2/17/04 at 14:51 (144483)

Yes, it is possible to break your heel bone -- although a deep bruise is more likely. You should definitely go to the doctor and get X-rays.

Good luck.

Re: Heel Injury

Jennifer F on 2/17/04 at 15:04 (144485)

Thanks for responding so quickly. I hope it's only a bruise, but I have a hard time imagining a bruise lasting this long. I called my doctor, I am having x-rays in the morning. We really can't afford any more medical bills. But, I can't keep going like I've been.
Thanks again!!!