Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nerve Block as Diagnostic test for tts?

Posted by SAMUEL C. on 2/17/04 at 19:05 (144514)

Could somenoe inform me if they ever had a nerve block to diagnose tts and whatwas it like or any risks involved and did it help temporarliy and where is the needle injected? Thank you

Re: Nerve Block as Diagnostic test for tts?

Dr. Z on 2/17/04 at 23:10 (144544)

Physical therapy such as ultrasound and or ionophoresis with an application of a local steriod may help either the nerve and or the tendons within the TTS tunnel. A local nerve block isn;t diagnostic for TTS

Re: Nerve Block as Diagnostic test for tts?

chrisb on 2/18/04 at 09:44 (144587)

Samuel here's my experience.
Last summer my doc suspected I had an entrapment possibly of the calcaneal nerve. He injected marcaine into the lower inside side of my heel. I hate needles and I won't say it was pleasant but it was bearable. He explained the objective was to see if numbing part of the heel area (served by calcaneal nerve) would alleviate my pain. He told me there was a very small risk of hitting the nerve itself with the shot, which didn't happen. The shot numbed an area around the insertion point and took away my pain for about 8 hours. He concluded that this was consistent with his hunch about nerve entrap.
By the way by that time I'd already had an MRI that showed no abnormal fascia and a nerve conduction test that showed slight latency in plantar nerve but insuffient to diagnose TTS. No Tinel sign, no tingling or numbess, i.e. I don't think a classic TTS case.
In December I had additional nerve test in Baltimore and TTS surgery was suggested.I haven't had the surgery yet.
Hope this is helpful to you.

Re: Nerve Block as Diagnostic test for tts? for chris

SAMUEL C. on 2/18/04 at 16:19 (144636)

chris,

somehow i have simailr sympotoms of no numbness or tingling just inner ankle pain that is very discomforting especially whwn weight bearing, even at rest i have pain. my mri showed i have tenosynovitis of tendons that are in the tasrl tunnel , but yet my poditrsit says i do not have a true tarsal tunnel syndrome. i've had it for 5.5 months and tried 2 cort shots to no avail. is your pain only in the inner ankle?? thams for your response.

elliott on 2/19/04 at 08:47 (144693)

Samuel, a nerve block probably would not be of much use in your case (of just inner ankle pain). It would be of more value if you had pain radiating from the ankle into the ball or toes, for then you could see if the block, when injected into the tarsal tunnel area, temporarily decreased the more distal symptoms, thus aiding in the diagnosis. In your case, a cortisone injection might be more beneficial and could (if you're lucky) even permanently relieve some or all of your symptoms. Of course, there is some risk, but (assuming you're not planning on going for a long run in the next several weeks) relatively minimal if injected by someone skilled, and certainly far less risky than a surgery.

elliott

chrisb on 2/19/04 at 13:01 (144712)

Samuel -
My pain isn't on the inner ankle, its on the bottom of the heel, near centre heel. Sometimes at fascia insertion point too. Sounds like you're lucky that an MRI has located something -- maybe this will guide treatment. My MRI showed nothing unusual.

Jen on 2/20/04 at 09:48 (144790)

Let me tell you my story of cortisone.....
I have a classic case of tarsal tunnel in my right foot that leaves my toes numb and tingling with shooting pains into my heel and toes. I have seen a few OS's for this and received 3 or 4 shots. my last shot was in September which left my foot totally numb and pins&needles times 100! lots of pain, however it did go away that night. still needless to say, I probably shouldn't have driven home. I went last nite again because shortly after that shot, I developed a very deep 'dent' where I had the shot. right below my ankle bone into the nerve area. I found out that the cortisone eats away fat, thus leaving me with my dent. the dent is very painful because now the nerves are closer to the surface of my skin. the veins have all come to the surface as well. the cortisone only last a week or 2. I now have to have surgery to repair what the cortisone did along with surgery to repair my nerves.

elliott on 2/20/04 at 09:59 (144792)

Jen, I said *one* cortisone shot, not 3 or 4!

[]

Jen on 2/20/04 at 10:12 (144797)

my 3 or 4 shorts were spread out over a 4 years. ive had TTS for about 5-6 years after a sports injury. nothing works for me. surgery is my last ditch effort.

REPLY on 2/20/04 at 22:03 (144873)

What kind of surgery are you having to repair nerves in your foot. I've never heard of surgery to repair nerves . The nerve in my foot is pretty much half dead due to TTS. It may regenerate or may not . Nerves regenerate at 1-2 mil. a month ,and that is not gauranteed. I have researched everything about TTS and never heard of a nerve surgery.?

Jen on 2/20/04 at 23:11 (144879)

I meant release my nerve......

Linda L on 2/25/04 at 04:01 (145269)

IM WONDERING IF RECIEVING A CORTISONNE SHOT ON THE INNER HEEL AND ARCH ARE BY MY DOC COULD HAVE HIT A NERE AND CAUSED INNER ANKLE/LEG PAIN AND SWELLING?

Linda L on 2/25/04 at 04:06 (145271)

CHRIS THATS VERY GOOD THAT YOUR MRI DID NOT SHOW ANYTHING UNUSUAL, BECAUSE WHATEVER IT MAY BE IT CAN BE TREATED EASILY SUCH AS ORTHOTICS OR EVEN A COUPLE DR SCHOLLS PADS, BUT YOU SHOULD TRY ICING THE HEEL AS WELL AS MASSAGING UR HEEL AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN. BUT I WOULD ADVISE YOU STRETCH BEFORE ICING. GOOD LUCK

Linda L on 2/25/04 at 04:08 (145272)

WHAT DOES IT MEAN THAT YOUR VEINS HAVE ALL COME OUT TO THE SURFACE CAUSE THATS WHAT IVE NOTICED ABOUT MY FEET.