Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Who wants to be moderator?

Posted by Scott R on 2/17/04 at 19:52 (144519)

send me an email if you want to moderate messages. (email removed) Mark L isn't going to be a moderator. i'll pick 3 people

Re: Who wants to be moderator?

Dorothy on 2/18/04 at 00:23 (144553)

What's involved with being a moderator? Aren't there moderators now?

Scott R on 2/18/04 at 06:47 (144567)

i had given out the password to too many people before so there are currently no moderators besides me. a moderator just deletes the stupid messages. to be a moderator, they need to have a static IP address and a history of decent posts.

MARK L on 2/19/04 at 07:04 (144690)

I'de like to be a moderator- then if I post something I don't like I can delete it.

Dr. Z on 2/19/04 at 09:59 (144698)

Too late it my fun job. Anyway seriously. Mark L I hope you stick around and continue to post information. You are welcome to post your opinion so long as there is no attaching,and mututal repect. So today is a new day and yesterday is gone.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/19/04 at 21:56 (144753)

I would invite back Peter R. to be moderator.
Ed

Dr. Z on 2/20/04 at 06:55 (144766)

He is already back but you don't even know it or maybe you do

BrianG on 2/20/04 at 08:43 (144782)

Is there only going to be one moderator?

BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/20/04 at 19:52 (144857)

Dr. Z:
I really don't know who Peter is or was. I made the suggestion sort of 'tongue in cheek.' I actually would invite him to f**tch*t.com if I knew how to reach him. We have things divided differently so it is likely that even a strongly opinionated individual could find a niche. I have invited Elliott over there a couple times. I realize that the two of you have had disagreements but could never quite figure out how and why things turned somewhat adversarial -- seems like some old stuff just got things going and bet that if I got the two of you together I could get you to shake hands.
Ed

Dr. Z on 2/20/04 at 20:02 (144859)

Actually Elliott and Dr. Z had met in person. Here is something I have learned but sometimes tend to forget. There really is no way to express emotion either via e-mail or on a place such as heelspurs.com. So what happens is things get out of hand and there are alot of mis understood communications
I don't ignore the points that Elliott make at all. Our discussions would probaby be much more positive if they were in person. I actually enjoyed Elliott's visit to my office some time ago. Anyway I do believe that the way that this board is set up now that if the post turns negative or just out to prove someone wrong for what ever reason then it is time to just move on. I just took up karate so I am into the only positive message this week.

Dr. Z on 2/20/04 at 20:16 (144865)

I am not sure. Did you volunteer.!

Re: to: Dr. Z --Re: Who wants to be moderator?

MARK L on 2/20/04 at 21:58 (144872)

Congratulations on you new highly esteemd position on this chat board.

Re: to: Dr. Z --Re: Who wants to be moderator?

Dr. Z on 2/20/04 at 22:06 (144875)

Thank you. Your advice is always welcomed on this board.

Julie on 2/21/04 at 03:03 (144897)

Dr Z, I just can't resist. If you were a woman you would not think that there is no way to express emotion via email or on a forum. No woman would. There is, there really is.

Have a nice day :)

Dr. Z on 2/21/04 at 10:10 (144915)

Jukie,

This is really funny. It was a woman that pointed this out to me during an
e-mail conversation. So since this person was a woman I agreed with her. So there is emotion boy is that a relief I though there was just like in a love letter

Julie on 2/21/04 at 10:46 (144916)

Sure, emotion is a an e-possibility, and I'm glad you're relieved to hear that it's so! Anyway, I never had you down as an emotional illiterate or a macho-type guy.

It's an interesting topic, actually. I know it's 'received wisdom' that without the 'body language', of face-to-face communication you can't really 'hear a person's tone'; but if you listen, you can, as long as you're not in too much of a hurry. It also has to do with how the words are chosen and used; perhaps as a writer I'm more attuned to this than perhaps most people are.

Since getting on line four years ago I have made three real friends, through email and on this and another forum. I've met two of them 'for real', but the one I haven't met is as much a real friend as the others, or as any of the friends I have got to know in more usual ways. We 'talk' to other regularly; important things have been discussed and much emotion has been shared and understood. So the internet has enriched my life enormously, something I would not have dreamed possible.

But I guess I was wrong to say that 'no woman' would think e-communication emotionless - you've disproved my theory. :)

Re: Emotion

wendyn on 2/21/04 at 15:59 (144948)

Julie, while I think it is possible to convey emotion through an electronic communication - I think it's also very easy to misinterpret emotion in an email or post.

Unless the tone of the communication is obvious (i.e. supportive/humorous) it's very possible to misinterpret the intended emotions. We've seen many examples here where this has lead to arguments and hurt feelings. At work, I've also been in situations where there have been major misintepretations just because people read too quickly.

Recently, a coworker stormed into my office complaining about the 'snotty' email she'd received from the manager of another department. She had sent an email requesting an update to a website, and she was put out by the response sent back.

I read the note twice before I realized what she'd done (I know this manager personally and the rudeness seemed out of character)

She read the note as 'It can wait' but in fact it said 'Can it wait' (they were in the process of hiring a new web editor). 'It can wait' comes across very differntly than 'Can it wait?'

I'm not sure if the absence of a question mark is what threw her off, but it was interesting to see how easy it is to have misunderstandings over electronic mail.

Re: Emotion

Julie on 2/21/04 at 16:49 (144958)

There's no doubt about that, Wendy. But it's easy to misunderstand and misinterpret any kind of communication: the problem isn't at all confined to electronic communication. Of course, people tend to compose emails and posts more quickly than they do 'proper letters', and perhaps don't give as much thought to their choice of words and to how they are expressing themselves. People tend to read them too quickly too. Your colleague mightn't have got her knickers (British usage) in such a twist if she had read what the manager's email really said.

I actually think that we're less likely to misinterpret written communication (electronic or otherwise) than we are to misinterpret speech, simply because we have more time (if we take it) to consider what we're writing, and reading, than we have to consider what we say when talking. For me, email has become a very happy and rewarding means of communication - and one in which it is very possible to share emotions (which is all I was saying).

But then, I haven't had to deal with it in an office situation, which I'm sure has all sorts of pitfalls, not least of which must be the need to write and read everything in a hurry.

Re: Reading slowly

wendyn on 2/21/04 at 21:34 (144988)

Julie, I agree that taking the time to read and write is really important. I think that you are way better at doing that than I am.

I've also become quite lazy about rereading my posts to ensure they are actually correct (I'm trying harder lately).

I think it's worse at work. I may receive over 40 emails in a day. Some require my response, some are just for information, others are responses to my questions. Often I'm checking emails while running off to another meeting. You're probably quite correct that if we all took the time to just slow down and read more carefully, a lot of misunderstandings could be avoided.

Julie on 2/22/04 at 00:53 (145004)

I have more time than you have. It's 14 years since I worked in an office full time; and I often think how lucky it is that I left before the advent of email. I would go spare, and up the wall and round the bend if I'd had to cope with 40 emails a day on top of the phone calls, letters, meetings, and hevaen knows what else I was juggling. I certainly wouldn't have been able to take my time over them.

Identifiable emotions would have been mainly anger and frustration and irritation, I expect. :))

wendyn on 2/22/04 at 11:59 (145020)

Agreed, emails have done nothing but create more work. People send an email, and then cc it to 30 other people rather than just walking around the corner and having a conversation.