Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

time for a joke

Posted by Bob G. on 2/17/04 at 22:38 (144538)

A knight and his men returned to their castle after a long hard day of fighting.

'How are we faring?' asks the king.

'Sire,' replies the knight. 'I have been robbing and pillaging on your behalf all day, burning the towns of your enemies in the west.'

'What?!?' shrieks the king. 'I don't have any enemies to the west!'

'Oh,' says the knight. 'Well, you do now.'

Re: time for a joke

Suzanne D. on 2/18/04 at 20:59 (144656)

Bob, your jokes make me smile. After a day of first grade humor, it is nice sometimes to read a clean, but adult, joke! As you probably know, first graders laugh at almost anything, and it doesn't really even have to make sense. Sometimes I laugh at things the rest of my family doesn't even think is funny, so they must be rubbing off on me!

I have been working hard to teach my students about Abe Lincoln and George Washington at this time of their birthdays, and it is challenging sometimes. We've sung songs about them, read books, listened to stories, etc., but today one of them asked me if Washington was President in 'my day'. Sometimes I have to just laugh with them. I said in mock protest, 'Do I look over 200 years old??!?' Then we all laughed. Of course when we started studying about this, several thought Washington was our President now and others thought Lincoln was. We now have a chart on the board with all the Presidents, in order, and they are quite interested in whose likeness is on all the coins.

Well, I don't know quite how I got off on all this, but, anyway, thanks for the jokes you provide from time to time.

Suzanne :)

Bob G on 2/19/04 at 06:29 (144687)

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, it's good to squeeze in a little humor from time to time. Last weekend I was in Orlando for business meetings and some fun. Ben Stein (Win Ben Stein's Money) was at one of our meetings and offered a one-hundred dollar bill to whoever could answer first, 'What number President was Richard Nixon?' (Stein was one of Nixon's speech writers) I guessed and yelled '38!' Stein said, 'Who said 38?' Well, he didn't see me off to the side (there were over 2,000 of us) so he gave the money to somebody else...so the joke's on me! Ben Stein has my money!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/04 at 07:33 (144692)

Kids learn so much so early these days! I think all that I knew about any of the presidents in first grade was that Washington was the first, Lincoln freed the slaves, and that Eisenhower was the current president. You are doing a wonderful job in teaching your first graders, Suzanne.

Carole C

Re: 38th or 45th President???

Richard, C.Ped on 2/19/04 at 14:12 (144715)

Just throwing something out there. Don't forget the seven presidents before Washington. John Hanson (1781), Elias Boudinot (1783), Thomas Mifflin (1784), Richard Henry Lee (1785), Nathan Gorman (1786), Arthur St. Clair (1787), and Cyrus Griffin (1788).

Re: 38th or 45th President???

Bob G on 2/20/04 at 00:08 (144760)

Good one, Richard, good one. How did these fellows escape the gallows? John Adams could have been hung for teason (by the British).