Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What - no Valentine stories?!

Posted by R C on 2/17/04 at 22:43 (144539)

Here's mine--

For her last birthday, I gave my wife a box of fancy chocolates that I ordered from the internet. I thought I had researched this carefully, as I wanted something truly special. Well, they were different, all right -- the chocolates were filled with unusual flavors, such as pickled ginger, curry, chili peppers, lemon grass, and rose water. Sorry, but our tastes just aren't that exotic! Fortunately, we were able to have a good laugh about it, and she appreciated the effort.

For Valentine's Day, I took no chances, and stuck to something I know well: I gave her the gift of MEAT (whoa, easy there!). I picked up two prime porterhouse steaks, each almost two inches thick, and grilled to medium-rare. And we had a wonderful holiday. Remember that for next year, gentlemen.

Re: What - no Valentine stories?!

Necee on 2/18/04 at 01:14 (144558)

When I got home from work on Friday, 2 dozen yellow roses were sitting on the kitchen table, along with the most beautiful card I have ever gotten!

A funny thing happend because of those roses.......we went to a Gaither Homecoming Concert Saturday eve at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, and unknown to me, my hubby had gotten all the cash I had in my purse to help pay for the roses.....well.....we get to the parking garage at the Amer Airlines Center, it cost $15 to park!!! Can you believe that! Anyway, I went for my purse to get the cash (that I thought was still there). While holding up a long line of cars behind us, we frantically searched everywhere looking for enough money to pay for parking, I emptied out my change purse, and gave the attendant everything we had....still coming up a few dollars short he motioned for us to go ahead. I was so embarassed!!
We had a wonderful evening at the concert. We sat in the Fox News Suite, along with my cousin and her husband, there were 2 other couples from church who were there too. This suite had big plush leather chairs to sit in, our own private kitchen, equipped with food and drinks, (non alcohol of course), and plenty of room to move around in. We all joked about living in 'style' that night.

Necee

Kathy G on 2/18/04 at 09:21 (144584)

Great story, Necee! It reminds me of the time my husband, who was my boyfriend at the time, picked me up in his new Corvette to take a ride. We ended up at a state park at the top of a nearby mountain. Back in those days, it cost 50 cents to park. That's when we discovered he had left his wallet at home and I hadn't bothered with a purse! We looked pretty cool, though, as we whizzed through the parking area and back to the road going down the mountain!:))

It sounds as though you had a good time. A luxury suite like that is really something. And I sure hope you enjoyed those roses you helped pay for!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 12:07 (144608)

I think the ideal Valentine's gift for a man to give, is a dozen roses.

I just love roses!!!! I don't often get them, so I love them even more.

Frank and I didn't even e-mail on Valentine's. He said he felt miserable because we are so far apart.

But yesterday, he managed to get transferred to a location in Alabama only 5-6 hours from here, starting in three weeks. This was quite a surprise, since he didn't even think that would be possible until the day before yesterday. We are both on cloud nine today!

I guess we'll be celebrating more than carnival season when he arrives on Saturday. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 2/18/04 at 21:04 (144657)

How very nice, Necee! And I love the Gaither Vocal Band! I've been to a few of their Homecoming Concerts in Louisville with friends. We always have seats way up at the top, but of course I still enjoy it immensely. I can't imagine enjoying the concert from a suite! That would be nice as my long legs do get cramped, sitting for hours in the seats which are so closely packed together. A private kitchen...Wow!

Suzanne :)

Suzanne D. on 2/18/04 at 21:06 (144658)

How nice that Frank is being transferred closer, Carole!

Suzanne D. on 2/18/04 at 21:09 (144659)

Sounds like a fun memory, Kathy! How are you feeling? It seems I remember reading on one of the other boards that your feet have been hurting more lately. I hope you'll soon be feeling better!

nancy.s. on 2/19/04 at 04:51 (144681)

wow, carole, i look away for a couple of seconds and come back and find you and your life undergoing all kinds of interesting and positive renovations. great news, and it sounds to me like you got nearly the best valentine's present you could have hoped for. congratulations!

nancy

Re: Hi, Nancy!

Suzanne D. on 2/19/04 at 06:14 (144684)

Nice to see your name here this morning!

Got to leave for school,

Julie on 2/19/04 at 06:23 (144686)

Welcome back to the board, Nancy. That couple of seconds felt like a couple of years!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/04 at 07:29 (144691)

Thanks, Nancy and Suzanne! You are right. I feel like I got a much better Valentine's present than usual.

What a nice surprise to see your name on a post, Nancy. :)

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 2/19/04 at 14:00 (144714)

Friday, my wife had the pleasure of dealing with a stomach virus :-& all day. Valentines day, she pretty much slept and recovered from the day before. A card and M&Ms worked great for her and my daughter. wooo hooo.

I had the pleaure of the wonderful stomach virus :-& yesterday!! haha. Where the heck is my card and M&Ms??? LOL
Richard

nancy.s. on 2/20/04 at 07:26 (144768)

thanks, folks. it's very good for me to see your names, too! am just catching up on you all. i see that life stood still for no one while i was gone. :)

n.

Lari S on 2/20/04 at 13:46 (144828)

Carole,

I am so thrilled for you and Frank. I know it has been a long time coming, but well worth the wait.:x Have a great celebration! Life is good...
Lari

Carole C in NOLA on 2/21/04 at 08:08 (144905)

He arrived early! We spent yesterday walking around the French Quarter, and ate out. I ate too much and must do 'damage control' today. But it was so wonderful to be together again. :)

Carole C

Julie on 2/21/04 at 09:24 (144910)

You sound very happy, Carole! I'm glad. Don't worry about eating too much - happy people lose weight more easily (that's my theory anyway).

Have more nice days. How long is Frank staying? And you'll be able to see each other much more often now, won't you?

Carole C in NOLA on 2/21/04 at 09:28 (144911)

Thanks, Julie. I'm going to *try* to order salads today, but I don't know if I'll have the inner strength to do that.

In answer to your questions, Frank is staying until Friday, and then he's going back to Connecticut to collect his things and move. He'll be living in Alabama (only 5-6 hours away), starting on March 15th. Then, we can see each other on weekends whenever we please. :)

Yes, I am very happy! We are having a wonderful time.

Carole C

Julie on 2/21/04 at 09:57 (144913)

You're probably too happy for salads, Carole! Never mind. Enjoy yourselves this week and catch up later.

I'm glad you and Frank will be able to see each other so much more often now.