Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hawaii.....

Posted by JudyS on 2/18/04 at 01:33 (144561)

I'm off to Hawaii for a week.....ostensibly to play in a softball tournament....ostensibly...

Couldn't get hubby to go so I'll just have to hang with the girls...

Bummer!

Take care everyone!

Re: Hawaii.....

Kathy G on 2/18/04 at 09:30 (144586)

Oh, have a wonderful time, Judy! I'm glad you're going and it'll be fun even if you can't play. Don't overdo it or you won't be able to play when you come home. Don't I sound like I'm your mother?

My son and daughter-in-law, who got married in September, are leaving on their honeymoon for Hawaii on Friday. They waited until they had enough money saved to go to Hawaii. My daughter-in-law has saved enough frequent flyer miles, from business travel, so that they can both travel first class! They're really excited.

I was being the typical mother last night (see, I can't help it!) when I mentioned to my husband that I worried that my son would hurt himself surfing over there. The biggest waves he's ever surfed are in the San Diego area. When he lived in Australia, he didn't surf; he just used a boogie board. My husband assured me that there are parts of the islands where the waves aren't huge. I don't know if that's true or if he was just pacifying me. I don't know why I worry. As I've often said, as he gets older and I hear stories, thank goodness I didn't know half of what my son was doing when he was growing up!

So have a wonderful time; don't overdo it and hurt your tendon more; and watch out for mad New Hampshire surfers while you're over there!

Lari S on 2/18/04 at 11:00 (144595)

You might as well enjoy your recovery in Hawaii. Relax and put your feet up while you cheer your team to victory. Have a great time.
Lari

Julie on 2/18/04 at 11:08 (144598)

Have a great time, Judy - for real.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 12:09 (144609)

Have fun! Wish I was going too. :)

Carole C

john h on 2/18/04 at 16:05 (144630)

Big Island big waves. Water in and around Honolulu much like the gulf of Mexico. I think the big waves are generally in the winter months but then it is the winter months.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/04 at 16:10 (144633)

He is right about parts of the islands where waves aren't huge, even in the winter. However your son should find out where big waves are likely to come up, and avoid those spots. The entire North Shore of Oahu is a good place to avoid. Even if the waves aren't big, the surf can come up unexpectedly.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 2/18/04 at 20:47 (144654)

I hope you have a wonderful trip, Judy!

Suzanne :)

Necee on 2/19/04 at 00:14 (144673)

Hope you have a great time Judy, take lots of pictures.

Happy trails...

Necee

Richard, C.Ped on 2/19/04 at 14:14 (144716)

Couldnt get hubby to go??? Are you kidding me????? Holy Cow!
Richard

Kathy G on 2/20/04 at 08:19 (144775)

I'd have gone in his place, Judy! My son and daughter-in-law are renting a condo on Kuaii (sp?). Wouldn't it be neat for them to have their mother/mother-in-law drop in for a surprise visit while their on their belated honeymoon? :D

I spoke to them before they left and my son assures me that he's no fool and will not attempt any waves that look too big and that one never surfs anywhere without talking to the native surfers in the area, to get the 'lay of the land.' I often forget that wintersurfing in NE, especially during hurricane season, renders some pretty big swells as did the time he surfed near San Diego when there was a storm out at sea. Above all, I must remember how an athletic friend's athletic mother, who went skiing with him on his second outing, described him. She said he was 'fearless without being reckless.' And of course, now he's a married man and has other responsibilities.

Ah, you know they're adults but you never stop being a mother!!

JudyS on 2/21/04 at 14:00 (144933)

Kathy - I couldn't possibly have a better 'mother'!
We went to see the waves at North Shore yesterday - now is their most aggressive time so I hope your son is careful. They are very awesome!