Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doctor will not respond!

Posted by Elly on 2/18/04 at 08:27 (144572)

I have been observing this forum for about two years now. I have seen some questions about scar tissue removal on this forum. For some unknown reason the foot doctors do not want to respond to these questions. So I am assuming that there are many horror stories related to this topic that doctors will not discuss. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Doctor will not respond!

Dr. Z on 2/18/04 at 09:22 (144585)

You have to be more specific about scar tissue . I will discuss any specific scar tissue problem is that is what you have. Tell me the location etc

elliott on 2/18/04 at 11:19 (144600)

As I recall, the question of scar tissue removal has been discussed frequently over the past two years (do a search on scar tissue and then see the responses of Drs. Wander, Davis and others that pop up). Seems like there's fewer docs around to answer questions now; can't expect one to do it all. Dr. Davis has frequently recommended injections of Wydase solution.

Anyway, since surgery generates scar tissue, doing surgery to remove scar tissue is going to generate yet more scar tissue, so one should be hesitant to get surgery just for this. Aside from choosing your initial surgeon carefully, massage, ultrasound, walking, injections, etc., should be tried.

What I've always wondered about is how eveyone knows they have a scar tissue problem. That is something that whenever asked they rarely ever answer. Pain or recurrence is not always due to scar tissue.

elliott

Elly on 2/18/04 at 11:47 (144605)

The scar tissue started after EPF surgery, on the plantar fascitis. Have tried PT(ultrasound, massage, iontophoreis), wydase injections, walking makes it worse. Scar tissue has been confirmed on MRI. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

elliott on 2/18/04 at 13:35 (144611)

Elly, every post-surg MRI will confirm scar tissue. Has someone diagnosed specifically that scar tissue is the culprit of your current symptoms? Also, what exactly are your symptoms (location, type of pain, etc.)? That might help a doc here give you advice.

elliott

Elly on 2/18/04 at 15:28 (144618)

The scar tissue is difinitly the culprit. Has been confirmed by four DPM's and two physical therapists. There are large fibrous knots over the plantar fascitis, they are not caused by the scars caused from the EPF procedure, it's where the facsia was partially cut. The fascia will not stretch causing pain on the inside and middle part on the heel/arch. Any long term standing and walking causes pain. No pain first thing in the am. Rest always helps.

Re: See I knew the docotors would not answer! n/t

Elly on 2/20/04 at 07:54 (144771)

I guess I was being to hopeful to get a response. Seeing surgeon today.

elliott on 2/20/04 at 08:06 (144773)

CALLING ALL DOCS!!! Is there a doctor in the house who can answer Elly's question on scar tissue? Please click on the view thread if necessary to see her description of her problem.

[]

Dr. Z on 2/20/04 at 08:38 (144777)

I am not sure how to help her. There is one aspect of her history that jumps out at DR. Z. No first step morning pain. This may be a nerve entrapemnt problem. The lumps could be plantar fibroma's that were there before the EPF and have become more painful due to the EPF release. With any pf release the medial column of the foot can become weak.
There is no question this is a tough problem with very little help toward resolution but I would try to determine a local nerve problem. I would do diagnostic nerve blocks. I would try local injetions of alchol.
I am not trying to be smart but this is why Dr. Z is a very strong advocate of non invasive ESWT. I have seen too much of this type of problem

Elly on 2/20/04 at 10:06 (144795)

Thanks for your response. I had ESWT done twice before the EPF surgery. The lumps were not there before surgery. All orthropedics and DPM stated that my symptoms where absolutely plantar fascitis, even with no morning pain. I have questioned them many times about this, they assured it was PF.

Dr. Z on 2/20/04 at 16:48 (144844)

This is not classic plantar fasciitis. I have that both ESWT and pf release procedures are not that effective.
You may want to investigage RFL. Go to the search engine and take a look at the threads on this procedure.