Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good tennis shoes for pf?

Posted by Buck T. on 2/18/04 at 09:50 (144589)

Hello shoe people. Coming out of pf coma. Been wearing orthotics in SAS regualar type shoes. Tried on old New Balance 1002 tennis shoes. Worked well except little toes pinched badly with orthotics. Any suggestions about tennis shoes with wider toe box? Thanks,

Buck

Re: Good tennis shoes for pf?

Julie on 2/18/04 at 10:16 (144593)

OK, here I go again, with praise for North Face Targas (which nobody wears but me).

Buck, one of the great things about North Face Targas is their wide, high toebox - plenty of room in them for orthotics and bunions as well as my wide feet. I have never looked back since I found them a couple of years ago. They are a hiking shoe, not a tennis shoe, so they have thick soles, good, deep tread, and good cushining.

Welcome to the outside world (from your coma, I mean).

Dorothy on 2/18/04 at 14:03 (144612)

'...North Face Targas, which nobody wears but me...' That's because they are not available in the U.S. Not nowhere, not no how. Having inquired of North Face dealers, retailers, and so on, I speak with information from them - but maybe there are sources unknown to me. I was only looking out of curiosity, but then it became a greater curiosity. That is what I finally learned - not available. Since you recommend and wear them, maybe you have U.S. sources you can recommend.

I always think it is nice when people recommend a product, a brand, whatever, here that they also give places/sources for locating those products in case readers want to pursue the recommendation. (Freudian slip: I first typed 'purse' the recommendation, which is probably more accurate)

elliott on 2/18/04 at 14:53 (144615)

Dorothy, do you, uh, Yahoo? :-)

http://www.bobwards.com/bobwards/servlet/item/features/103516-16

http://www.northernmountain.com/NMSmain.asp?Option=Detail&ID=WNORFAC+TargaW&Dept=FW&Cat=FW0SubCat=FW04&ClearLast=Yes

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/brands/the+north+face/targa

From my quick web search, only a few sizes left in women's, more in men's (but that's enough to knock out the 'Not nowhere, not no how', isn't it?). From the last web site, it's clear that they used to carry it at several (at least online) U.S. retailers, but in fairness as to why they don't have it anymore, it looks like it's being discontinued.

elliott

Buck T. on 2/18/04 at 15:42 (144620)

Hi Julie: Thanks for info on North Face Targas. Would there be website to locate nearest store? Or, what type of store should I look in?

PS: After leaving pf coma, outside world is a little scarey but much more fun.

Thanks, Buck

Buck T. on 2/18/04 at 15:47 (144621)

Thanks Dorothy for responding and Elliott I appreciate the web information. Will give it a try. Buck

Vern S. on 2/18/04 at 15:52 (144623)

I have wide toes with regular width towards the heel. Tried on Brooks Addictions last night. Felt good. Black color.

Dorothy on 2/18/04 at 16:10 (144634)

I will now, based on your links - thanks. I fancy myself a pretty good researcher and searcher but apparently not good enough. Usually I am the one to whom people say, 'How did you find that?' ... So, thank you for another learning experience from heelspurs.com. Your information satisfied my curiosity and expanded my fund of information.

Even though I am not in the market for these shoes myself, others might be. People here follow Julie's suggestions very closely, and she has given these shoes her personal 'endorsement' several times. Now you have given sources for obtaining them. That works well! Thanks again.

Julie on 2/18/04 at 16:31 (144638)

Dorothy, I'm perplexed. North Face is an American company, and the address on my latest Targa box is:

The North Face, Inc.
Warranty Department
2013 Farallon Drive
San Leandro
California 94577

and in Canada:

9680 Trans Canada HY
Ville Saint Laurent
Quebec
H45 1V9

I suppose it's possible that the particular style is manufactured for the European market?...

'Nobody wears them but me' was said in jest. I mentioned them because Buck said he needed a wide toe box, and that's their glory. I'm enthusiastic about them as you know, but I wouldn't recommend them generally because they wouldn't suit people with narrow feet.

Julie on 2/18/04 at 16:33 (144640)

Elliott, I do hope you're wrong - I've laid in a fair stock, but not quite enough to last me the rest of my life. The North Face shop in London told me before Christmas that there would be a delivery in February of new stock - with six new colours. That was good news, as all of mine have been grey and black: very dull. This exchange has reminded me to check up and see if the new stock has arrived.

Dorothy on 2/18/04 at 16:34 (144641)

See elliott's post - his is current information.

Julie on 2/18/04 at 16:42 (144642)

Dorothy, I just noticed your paragraph 2. Of course it's nice when people give chapter and verse for their recommendations, but as I bought my shoes in London, it wouldn't have seemed relevant, even if I'd thought of it, to give details of the shop. (But if anyone in London is interested, it's Ellis Brigham in Southampton Street, Covent Garden - and the North Face shop itself is across the road from it.)

As for websites, I wouldn't have known the urls of any because I don't buy the shoes on line. Anyway, I expect most people know about Google and other search engines, and are savvy enough to do their own research - don't you think so?

Julie on 2/18/04 at 16:46 (144644)

Hi Buck

I hope you'll be able to check up on one of the sites Elliott gave details of. If you get interested, and want to shop in real time, I would think that any store that sells equipment for hiking and trekking would have, or cold order them for you.

Yes, I agree - the world outside PF is infinitely more fun! Have plenty.

wendyn on 2/18/04 at 21:38 (144665)

I have asked about these shoes too...and I have received a blank stare from the folks at the shoe store.

Julie on 2/19/04 at 02:01 (144678)

Wendy

They're obviously not well known (here, either) like the Nike, Brooks, New Balance, Reebok shoes, etc. If you're interested - I know you've got bunions (like me) and go hiking (like me) so they might suit you. Perhaps you could try writing to the Quebec address in my post above, for details of stockists in your neck of the woods.

Since they're a hiking shoe, not a running or tennis shoe, I would imagine that a store that sells shoes and equipment for outdoor pursuits like trekking would have them, or would know about them and be able to order them.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/19/04 at 14:18 (144718)

Take all these suggestions and also make sure that the shoe does not hinge in the middle. The shoe should only bend at the ball. That is where your foot hinges naturally. Also, make sure the heel counter is stiff for ankle stability.

wendyn on 2/19/04 at 23:12 (144755)

I will keep an eye out for them Julie!

Julie on 2/20/04 at 01:21 (144763)

Hi Richard

That good advice is imprinted on my mind from when you first posted it (and other criteria for assessing shoe quality) way back when. I wouldn't have gone in for NFTs if they hadn't met them all! They do. :)

Richard, C.Ped on 2/20/04 at 08:41 (144778)

Thanx Julie. I just recently read all the mess on the eswt board. I want to let you know that your advice is very much appreciated. Ill stand behind ya!

Julie on 2/20/04 at 10:12 (144798)

Hi Richard, and thanks for the friendship. I wasn't in the least perturbed by 'those' comments (to which I assume you're referring), so no worries.

Will B on 3/06/04 at 11:14 (146210)

I was a runner also, and a weight trainer. I have been wearing Borrks for 3 years now because they are shaped and made so well for the foot. Also of note. I actually buy 1/2 size larger than I nomrally would so I can use a heel cup. I have also had good luck with a few pair of Adidas, but highly recommend Brooks. We have several athletic chain stores here in Dallas so i can just walk in and start trying on shoes. I look for room for the toes though as well as what was mentioned by the doc about fit.

Will B on 3/06/04 at 11:15 (146211)

Borrks=Brooks lol.No message editor on this forum ;)