Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis near the ball of the foot

Posted by RonB on 2/19/04 at 14:48 (144721)

Is it possible to get Fasciitis near the ball of the foot? (I did the Stairmaster for years). When I press on and around the tendon right below the top and between the first and second Metatarsals, it's painful. It also can be painful to walk when it flares up.

My podiatrist says stretching won't help because of it's location. She also said I can continue exercising at the gym like I have been, which includes the leg press.

She fitted me with orthodics which I've been wearing. I think it stopped it from getting worse, but isn't helping it much either.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Plantar Fasciitis near the ball of the foot

francesc on 2/19/04 at 15:43 (144725)

Hi Ron,

From what you described, it sounds like the PF I have in my left foot. I feel it more in the arch and tendons all along the bottom of my foot. Especially if I press on them while I have my foot flexed. I think my podiatrist called it 'proximal plantar fasciitis.' But I could be wrong.

Anyway, I think what helps me the most with that is massaging the foot with a tennis ball and I wore a shock absorbing insole in my athletic shoes. For me, the Spenco Polysorb worked great. I needed cushioning in that foot more than arch support.

As far as the stretching, I think it wouldn't hurt. It always feels better after the massage and stretching. And my physical therapist also feels that the leg press should be fine with my condition. However, I have the typical PF in my right foot and I find that too much weight seems to bother it.

Just curious: what type of orthotics do you have? I have not been able to tolerate the rigid orthotics because of that reason. It seemed to aggravate that metatarsal area.

Thanks,
Frances

RonB on 2/19/04 at 15:52 (144726)

>>>From what you described, it sounds like the PF I have in my left foot. I feel it more in the arch and tendons all along the bottom of my foot. Especially if I press on them while I have my FootFlexed

Exactly! When I have the foot flexed and press on the tendon is when I feel it the most. I have some custom made Prescription Flex it says. I think they're made of carbon fiber.

My podiatrist also says I have a neuroma right between the first and second metetarsils. It burns and hurts in there.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/19/04 at 16:25 (144734)

Give a soft metatarsal pad a try. It should be placed just proximal to the met heads and will lift and seperate the bone to release the entraped nerve.

RonB on 2/19/04 at 16:42 (144736)

I thought that's what the orthodics are suppose to do...I have been wearing half length custom fit orthodics.

Sandy H. on 2/19/04 at 19:49 (144743)

I've got the same pain area and a forefoot posting on mine which i think helps, although another podiatrist said that it was better not to have this posting cos it restricts movement. Another podiatrist put some pads in front of the area on half lenght orthotics but that didn't really work. A bit jerry-riggged.

AndrueC on 2/20/04 at 07:42 (144769)

That's exactly the same as me.

In the heel pain book it has a quote from someone saying they pull their toes and foot back then massage the sole of their foot.

Owwwww!

There's actually one place on the right foot just in front of the heel in the middle which is seriously sensitive to pressure even when the foot is relaxed. Thankfully it seems quite deep so even my SDOs don't aggravate it often but just occasionally I catch that spot and it makes my wince.

On both long arches about half way there are lumps. Not visible to the eye but you can feel them. They can tolerate some pressure but beyond a certain point they hurt. Given their location they could almost be the insertion point of the tendon that pulls your feet inward. OTOH if that were swollen I'd have problems raising on tip-toes surely?

A recent discovery is that if I grab a foot in both hands with the fingers across the sole and try to pull the sole apart (not really but hopefully you get the picture) it hurts. I've tried this elsewhere (no descriptions :) ) and it seems unique to my feet. Is this yet another PF symptom?

Richard, C.Ped on 2/20/04 at 08:43 (144781)

The orthotics should get you in a good neutral position. Sometimes this alone does the trick with pain in the ball of the foot. In very many cases, a metatarsal pad needs to be added for just the reason I described above.

RonB on 2/20/04 at 14:52 (144829)

Thanks C. Richard, I will go ahead and give this a try. I'm somewhat concerned because if nothing works, does that mean surgery? And if it I do need surgery, how many podiatrist have operated on the nerved between the 1st and 2nd metarsals, probably not many.