Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brian or anyone

Posted by Tammie on 2/19/04 at 20:49 (144748)

I know you know alot about meds tell me about this please! Email me if you prefer. Oxycodone HCL 5 mg. verses percocet 5/325 ? Thank u!!! Break thru meds.

Re: Information please

Tammie on 2/20/04 at 10:38 (144802)

I have been searching online about thease two meds,what I seem to read is that they are almost the same? I am trying to find out this and what if anything makes one better then the other? I seem to be having trouble finding the oxycodone hcl 5 mg. I believe it may be generic ? Not sure. Please if anyone can help I would appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Kathy G on 2/20/04 at 13:01 (144820)

Hi Tammie,

Brian may have gotten back to you via email but I do know that Oxycodone HCL is Percodan and has no acetaminophen in it. It is also known as Roxicodan.

Percocet 5/325 has the 325 mg. of acetaminophen in it along with the same amount of oxycodone. It's thought that the acetaminophen enhances the percodan.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having break-through pain. Hope this helps you out.

Tammie on 2/20/04 at 19:20 (144854)

Thank you Kathy! No he must not have seen it that is why I reposted asking anyone for help that might know about meds. I did look even in a pdr but did not really understand the differance!

Yes trouble with my break thru pain . It has been giving me a hard time lately and the Dr. said I had been taking to many percocet as the acetaminophen count was getting to much for my liver. So therefore the change and he said I could take more and have them every four hours instead of the percocet which I was only aloud 3.Either day or night but not more then 3. I just wanted to understand the differences as they seemed the same. Thank you again for your help!

Re: A little more info

BrianG on 2/23/04 at 12:45 (145094)

Hi Tammy,

Sorry, I wasn't able to log on for a couple days. Kathy is correct about the OxyCodone not having acetaminophen. One thing to think about is that 5mg may not be strong enough to help you. Most of the large companies that make these meds (like Endo) now make a Percocet named 10/325. It has twice the OxyCodone, with only 325mg of tylanol. If you take this with food, the tylanol really shouldn't bother you.

If you want the straight OxyCodone / Roxicode, talk to your pharmacist. I believe it too is avaiable in dosages larger than 5mg. He can be just as important as your doctor, in getting your meds. If he knows that you'll be getting the same script each month, he / she can make sure they have your pills on hand. When I've had to change pharmacies, I always made a point to meet the head pharmacist, and gave him a list of what I would be needing each month. It usually works well. If it doesn't, go somewhere else where they will appreciate your business!!!

One other thing to think about is that these meds only last 3-4 hours, at best. If you notice that your on an up and down pain / pain relief cycle, then your pain is not being treated adaquetly. I don't know how you doctor feels about the next step, but it is normally to switch to a long acting med, which will give you 8-12 hours relief at a time. In your case, that med would be OxyContin. It's a wonderful pain reliever, which should take care of your need for break through meds. Unfortunatly drug abuse by addicts, keeps some doctors from prescribing this drug. If the doctor follows your states guidelnes, he / she should have no problem prescribing them to someone like yourself, who has a well documented case of chronic pain.

Good luck
BrianG

Pauline on 2/23/04 at 13:39 (145099)

Brian,
Just out of curiosity do you think Medical Marijuana would help this type of pain if it were legal?

After seeing it used for cancer patients, I think it has a place in treating serious pain.

Tammie on 2/23/04 at 21:32 (145135)

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me! I only will take them for break thru medication. I was taking the percocet with the tylanol. He wanted to take me off the percocet breakthru med and replace with the oxycodone without the tylanol. He felt I was taking to many and that it was not good for my liver. So he was going to give the other without and then I can take it every 4 hrs for breakthru instead of the 6 or 8 hrs and less meds aloud. I also take the oxycontin for my maintenance pain med.

I am on the up and down cycle and to much pain at nightime again , That is why I told my dr. that we needed to look into something a bit different. He had tried giving me the lidocain patches but to not much added comfort,but says I can still use.Was on 3 antidepressants as they say some have added help for that type of pain. Not for me just foggy mind . I weaned myself down and am only on one now and feel much better mind wise.

I am not afraid of publicity anymore. I have to take care of my body and learn to live with WHAT I can .As there will not be a miracle to take this away and i have been told I will have to live with my foot pain.Cant seem to get the stimulator leads in the right spots for foot.Meds dont seem to cover it totaly.I had spreadage of the RSD so trying hard to keep it at a minimum now.Dr. told me that my meds are needed as if not I could keep spreading and the thing is you want to get pain relief so that the symathetic signals get stopped before they get to the brain.Whew lots to learn.

I knew you understood alot about meds and wanted to hear what you thought! Or anyone else that wanted to comment.I have learned threw all of this that it is as much up to ME to research treatments for my body as well as my Dr.he is very compassionate for pain but also very careful of when and how much he ups medications as I have been on this for several months perhaps a year.So time now to address it is not covering enough like it had. Thank u I apreciate the help and advice! We could use a thread about different meds tho I guess not to many use? Sorry to read things still not to good for you, hoped that you might have gotton some relief.It can be depressing to read all the people who just arent getting better! All with JUST a foot as others say. Ha if only they new half! Keep the head up and the smile when you can and I do hope some good things come your way! I am into this ssd applying what a joke!

Re: read recently about it

Tammie on 2/23/04 at 21:44 (145136)

I just read a few months ago a article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer from the clinic, saying they are interested in tring it for RSD or CRPS as well as cancer and other painful conditions. Was interesting to say the least, not that I would know what to do if it did as I teach the oppisite to my children.But who knows this is how they find new things and ways to treat conditions.

Since there have been positive indications of it helping in other areas of the country ,they really think it should be investigated much more.It is also supposed to help with nausea, which alot of us have to fight that also with all the meds in us AND pain itself causes some of us to feel sick.It has changed my whole diet, I should be anorexic as I hardly can eat much at all. Smells of cooking food turn me off so I can not eat. ofton leaving me with a bowl of ceareal a day for food.I can drink but limited to a few things as others make me feel ill. But so much better then not having meds to help.I try to eat when I can and seems as tho it is small things when nothing is cooking! So I am wondering if it will really be tested.

Dorothy on 2/23/04 at 22:16 (145139)

I think your idea is an excellent one - a separate thread for meds or maybe one for pain management that would include meds. I don't know the numbers but, just from reading here, I would guess that many people here DO take the kind of pain management meds that you are talking about.
You have my very best hopes for finding relief and improvement.

BrianG on 2/25/04 at 21:38 (145368)

Hi Tammy,

I'm late as usual, but I just had one more thing for you. And, I think you already realize the problem. If you are needing break through meds, and are on OxyContin, then your OxyContin dose is too low. If you have gone a year without an increase, it's time you had another one. I've read that a 25% increase is most effective. I'd talk with your doc, if I was you. EVERYONE on daily pain meds needs an increase occasionally, especially in the first few years.

Don't forget to document how your pain is getting out of control, for your doctor. It will allow him to raise your dosage a little easier. Document, document, document, especially if your applying for SSD. It wil help your case.

Good luck
BrianG

Dorothy on 2/26/04 at 00:03 (145371)

I think so often when I read your posts that you are such a terrific 'patient advocate' and that your advice is so patient-centered and must help people who are suffering even on meds feel supported by an understanding person 'out there' - you, BrianG. The things that you often address may seem a little controversial to some, but it seems to me that you really cut through the 'material' and get to the heart of the matter.

John H on 2/26/04 at 12:03 (145426)

Brian G: Have you had any experience with Neurotin? I have some but tried only one capsule and felt goofy so did not proceed with the course as prescribed. Some people have posted it took them a week or more to get accustomed to this medication.

BrianG on 2/27/04 at 09:23 (145501)

Hi John,

Yes, my Neurologist had me on it for a couple months. I couldn't hack the side effects, and it was not touching my pain. I kept increasing, just like your supposed to, but when I started to get double vision after 2 months, I said that was it, and slowly titrated back down. I also gained about 20 pounds during that time. I think a better med might be Topomax, but my doc didn't want me to try it?

Regards
BrianG