Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions....

Posted by Terri on 2/19/04 at 22:02 (144754)

I seem to have a lot of tightness along the inner ankle and up the calf, around 3 inches up from the ankle bone. I'm doing a lot of different stretches in p.t. and they help, but it tightens up right back again after sitting for just a few minutes. Is this a sign that scar tissue has formed? Once I get up and walk, it loosens up but never goes completely away.

The bottom of my foot hurts more than before. I'm about ready to take the orthotic out of that shoe to see if it helps after reading yesterday's posts to Dr. Z.

How long can I expect to feel numbness along the incision? For those of you that have had surgery, how long is your incision? I measured mine finally and it's just under 5 inches long. Is that normal? Dr. Z, maybe you can answer some of these please? My next appt with my dr is another 2 weeks out and I'd like to hear from some of you to find what is 'normal' and what isn't after surgery. I'm the type to say, oh I'm fine, and go on if I think it will get better eventually.

Other than the tightness and some numb areas, I'm really doing pretty well. Still haven't had any cramps hit since I started on the neurontin, even forget to take the night time dose most times. I'm sure some of that success is due to the fact that I'm not even close to walking as much as I used to which helps.

Thanks to everyone for your support and kind words. It sure is nice to find others out there to talk to!

Re: Questions....

lauriel on 2/20/04 at 15:55 (144841)

Terri - I had major tightness for several months even after continuing stretching excercises on a regular basis, My surgery was in 12/02. I have a lot of movement sideways but still have tightness in my lower badk of claf (achilles) I dont know if I will ever get the full range of motion I had. I dont know what your PT has you doing for scar tissue, but mine had me rub right at the incision on each side back and forth and up and down in opposite directions and use vitamin e so you are breakng up what is tightening there and they would also massage it. He said some scar tissue had form because when you massage it the way I describe it is not moving. I would ask your PT abut this My incision is about 5 inches
laurie

Margie B on 2/22/04 at 20:15 (145041)

Hi Terri,
I had TTS surgery on 12/5 and we communicated a bit on this site. I am finally off crutches and using a cane.I still have pain in my heel where it is not numb but is is a little less than it was.My incision is still sore but the pt has me massaging twice a day and my doc wants me to walk in water at the pool.(not on water!) Anyway, I am starting to believe that this long period of recovery will end.I am wearing Spenco orthotics but my doctor said to start with short periods each day (1/2 hour) if they bother me. He wants me to wait a bit before he makes custom orthotics. My incision is about 3' long. Another podiatrist looked at it,(a patient of my pt!) and said most are longer and hockey stick shaped. I notice more pain in the morning and evening with my foot,(bottom of heel and incision area)Please keep in touch and I wish you speedy healing. I know how difficult this long process is and I am grateful for this website.
Margie

Linda L on 2/24/04 at 19:36 (145244)

WISH YOU WELL MARGIE AND ALL OF YOU OUT THERE. VERY GRATEFUL FOR THE FORUM, KNOWINNG IM NOT ALONE AND UNERSTANDING OTHERS EXPERIENCES AS TO MINE HELPS ALOT. ITS REALLY A BLESSING THANK GOD =)