Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neuroma between 1st and 2nd metatarsals

Posted by RonB on 2/20/04 at 11:14 (144804)

I've heard Neuromas are common between the 3rd and 4th, but how about the 1st and 2nd? That's where my foot burns and hurts. It feels better when I take my shoes off. Rubbing it helps, but I think it tends to aggravate it sometimes too. Weird sensation around that area too, like it's swollen, but it doesn't look swollen.

I use to do the Stairmaster at high intensity for years, could this have caused it? I've got custom orthodics but aren't helping much.

Re: Neuroma between 1st and 2nd metatarsals

Kathy G on 2/20/04 at 12:27 (144816)

Ron,

My 'atypical' neuroma is located between my first and second toes. Because of the location and some other symptoms I was displaying at the time, which I don't remember because it was nine years ago, my Pod wouldn't consider surgery. Shots of cortisone, every four to six months helped me for a while but then my custom orthotics made all the difference in the world. It still hurts on occasion but nothing like it did. One of my primary symptoms was an electric-shock like pain that would hit my big toe out of the blue. It was so severe that it would sometimes make me exclaim out loud!

My sister, interestingly, developed a traditional neuroma, in the normal place, a few years later and had successful surgery.

My advice to you would be to go back to your Pod and see whether he thinks your orthotics need adjustment.

Good luck!

RonB on 2/20/04 at 14:54 (144830)

Thanks for the response. I did have an adjustment made recently, but the problem is, I think it's making my PF worse, while not really helping the nueroma.

My main symptom is burning and pain between the 1st and 2nd metatarsals, but not while walking, but while relaxing.

Dr. Z on 2/20/04 at 20:05 (144861)

This is very posssible, Treatment is the same as if it were in the 3rd and 4th interspace area

RonaldB on 2/20/04 at 23:13 (144880)

Dr Z. Thank you very much for your reply!

Great site by the way!