Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neuroma Pain is back after surgery....

Posted by Rose on 2/20/04 at 21:23 (144869)

I had surgery for a neuroma in July in which the area was loosened and cut to provide more room for the neuroma. It was not cut out. It healed quickly, in about 6 weeks, and there was no pain until the last month. Now it is starting in again as before increasing. The incision ws on the top of the foot between the third and fourth toes.
What do you think about this? Is this normal after this type of surgery? I am feeling numbness and the electrical sort of pain that I felt before, but not nearly as bad as before the surgery. ALthough it is steadily increasing.
I am seeing my surgeon regularly for the PF release in the other foot that was done at the same time.f It is taking its time healing and the surgeon has recommended a nerve conduction test, physical therapy, and limited walking. Also a night splint and other things that we regularly do for this. I cannot have a cortisone shot as I am highly allergic to it.
I welcome any suggestions of things I could do or th ings I might ask my doctor.
Thank you so very much for your time.

Re: Neuroma Pain is back after surgery....

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/21/04 at 00:47 (144889)

Rose:
This may be caused by scar tissue entrapping the 'cut end' of the nerve causing neuroma like symptoms. An injection of the area with a solution containing about 150 units of hyaluronidase (Wydase), 10 mg. of triamcinolone acetonide mixed with about 10 mg. of lidocaine should lead to significant improvment of the situation in about 3 weeks.

One caveat, Wyeth pharmaceuticals is no longer manufacturing Wydase (hyaluronidase) so it must often be obtained from a compounding pharmacy.
I obtain mine from Mark Norris, RPh of Beall's Pharmacy, 618 S. Meridian, Suite #A, Puyallup, WA 98371, telephone number: 253-845-8444.
Ed

Re: Neuroma Pain is back after surgery....

Rose on 2/21/04 at 01:43 (144892)

Thank you so much for the reply. I will tell my doctor. I see him in a month