Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need Advice About Tarsal/Plantar Fasciitis Pain

Posted by Linda L on 2/22/04 at 19:24 (145033)

I have PF in both feet for about 7 months now and it certainly has gotten better with the 3 injections in each foot i have recieved. Pain comes and goes but there is pain with every step i take. Recently i was trying out some new stretching techniques on my legs and feet and the next day while walking i felt a tg in my right foot and felt the same pain as i had in the beginning of PF, 1st question do you think that the pain came form the new stretching i was doing? ok on to my story so when that pain came along i decided to put a dr schols pad on top of my orthotic in my shoe to alleviate he pain in my heel a bit and began to walk on the outside of my foot, it helped but then a couple days later i felt a sharp pain on the inside of my ankle that went away but now is back, i took out the pad i put on top of my orthotic and the pain is less but it is tender to the touch behind my inner ankle bone, i have not seen a doctor yet but need some help with this. MY main quesiton is before i received the injections i read about them and there were some implications on the doctors being careful of giving an injection and hitting a nerve. my question is does anyone think this sharp pain that i think is tarsal tunnel has come from the improper shots given by my podiatrist? or any other suggestions? and are there any ways to alleviaete the pain because even with my orthotics i use now there still is pain. and oh ya i think this sharp ankle pain came from my trying to stretch my foor because of the PF by putting my foot on the floor away from me and turning my knee towards me and pulling? any suggestions anyone especially Dr. Z? thanks for everyones help

Re: Need Advice About Tarsal/Plantar Fasciitis Pain

Dr. Z on 2/22/04 at 19:34 (145036)

Wow you have a very detailed history. Over stretching can cause pf problems. Did the doctor hit the herve?. I doubt it. Could you have both pf and TTS. Yes. Pain with every step- check out a stress fracture and or other tendon, joint problems. Time to see your podiatrist again. An MRI may be in order

Linda L on 2/22/04 at 19:53 (145039)

Dr. Z, you say u have PF, do you not have pain with every step? is that abnormal for Patients with PF to have pain with every step in the arch area? And a question with about PF, im only 20 years old and 20-30 pounds over weight, im also looking to lose some weight, doctor says swimming is good aerobic excersize, but i have a hard time with sandals? any suggestions on which sandals are good to slip in my orthotics, or can i make orthotics for sandals? Thanx Alot

Dr. Z on 2/22/04 at 21:35 (145046)

I don't have pf . I was tring to help you. IF you have pain in the arch area this may be posterior tibial tendonitis and not plantar fasciitis. Pain with every step is atypical.

Dorothy on 2/23/04 at 00:58 (145065)

I can't get a 'visual' of the stretch you are describing:
'...putting my foot on the floor away from me and turning my knee towards me and pulling....' That doesn't sound physically possible. I am curious about the stretch - can you give some more info?

Linda L on 2/23/04 at 09:17 (145083)

my foot on the floor away from me meaning my right foot i turn it to the right as far as i can while turning my leg and knee as far as i can to the left, can this be a cause of TTS?

Dorothy on 2/23/04 at 09:45 (145086)

I'm just another poster so please don't feel any need to explain to me further; I'm not a doctor nor do I have TTS that I know of. I was just trying to understand what you wrote about the physical move that you were doing and wondering about. I'm sorry that I still don't get it, but don't mind me - I sometimes find that I need a 'visual aid' when trying to understand an exercise or some physical technique like an exercise. If you need to describe the movement to anyone else here, maybe it would be helpful to be specific about it - for example, identifying left foot or right foot, left leg/right leg, etc. But then, again, don't mind me - I like diagrams and illustrations! I hope you find the help you need with your questions and issues and that people who are knowledgable will respond to your queries. Best wishes to you.

lauriel on 2/23/04 at 11:06 (145092)

Dr Z, how can over stretching cause PF? I am dogna lotof stretching to alleviate my PF but I dont want ot make it worse.

Linda, you would need to get nerve condusction test to see about TTS. My TTS symptom wree atypical meaning there were very different from others who hav eposted here. I would get shocking pain in the inside of my anklw when I put pressure on my feet. I haved had a pod give me a cortizone shot int eh wrong place that left me with a tinglin sensationf or several months. As for shots causing TTS. I jsut had orhtodisc made for my PF but it postions my foot I think amybe be wrong giving me tehse shocking stabs of pain again after I had surgery for the TTS

Laurie

Linda L on 2/25/04 at 04:04 (145270)

HOW DO YOU KNOW UR POD GAVE YOU A SHOT IN THE WRONG PLACE? BECAUS EIM WONDERING IF THATS THE CASE WITH MYSUDDEN ONSET OF INNER ANKLE/LEG PAIN/SWELLING? BUT I GOT MY SHOTS ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO IS IT A BIT LATE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO OCCUR NOW?