Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EMG NCV for tarsal tunnel

Posted by samuel c on 2/24/04 at 08:46 (145173)

is this test pain ful to determine if one has tarsal tunnel and what does it actually involve? Where are the needles placed or electrodes if any are used? thanks for yo r help.

Re: EMG NCV for tarsal tunnel

chrisb on 2/24/04 at 13:24 (145195)

Samuel I had an EMG last year and personally I didn't find it very painful at all, although maybe some people who post here might have had a different experience. They place conductive pads (not needles) on your feet (and ankle) and zap a quick electric current -- I think the idea is to measure how fast the nerve conducts. Mine was measured on a laptop attached to the electrodes.

the pain was like a little electric shock. Just a very little shock, not like sticking your fingers into a wall socket or anything. It lasts a fraction of a second.

James on 2/26/04 at 06:29 (145389)

I also had an EMG done but it was very painful. Unfortunately Needles were used from my foot to my knee. It didn't hurt on my calf but when the doctor got down to my ankle I almost jumped off the table. Also, my EMG results were negative but I ended up having TTS surgery and my nerve was totally entrapped so for me the EMG was not a good tool.

Sheila S on 2/29/04 at 07:17 (145635)

Dr. A. Lee Dellon has developed testing equipment for this (and other nerve entrapments) that is totally painless. The tests leave room for variances in how a tester uses and manipulates the equipment as well as the patient's responses, but along with physical symptom dx it is an excellent diagnostic tool. No needles, it is based on two-point touch discrimination - you close your eyes, a single blunt prong is pressed to your skin at certain nerve areas and you press a button as soon as you feel it, then two prongs and you press the button as soon as you feel a definite TWO prong touch. The computer measures both light touch and deep nerve sensitivity. As I mentioned in an earlier response, I had the test done by a local doctor, then also at Dr. Dellon's office - though there were variances in the levels due to the testers technique, both were so accurate that they both showed the same problems and both pin-pointed my exact back trouble area and my right knee problem.

Check out the testing equipment and see if you can find a doctor near you who has the equipment: http://www.dellon.com and do research on Quantative Sensory Testing for more info.

Terri on 2/29/04 at 21:02 (145680)

Just like James, my test was not an experience I'd like to repeat. The first part which was just the mild electrical zap wasn't too bad, but then they added needles into the foot, ankle and calves and sent the electrical current through them. THAT was the uncomfortable part. What really ticked me off was the technician barking at me because I jumped at one point. I informed him that if someone was sending a shock to an already sensitive area, your body operates on automatic, which is to get away. At that point the dr came into the room and took over. I think he may of heard me telling this guy off..... :-)

I wished I had known the information Sheila posted. That sounds like the way to go.

James C on 3/01/04 at 11:06 (145709)

Samuel C
I had the ncv test done and I didn't think it was that bad . I personally feel that the jumping of your legs and muscles was not that bad. I would do just about any type of test to get rid of tts and pf.The dr. also put the needles in my back to make sure I didn't have something wrong there as well.