Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cost of TTS surgery

Posted by Steven L. on 2/24/04 at 16:13 (145222)

I am having TTS surgery and getting the nerve that serves my heel removed on 03/04/04.My TTS was caused by a broken heel (a bad trip down some stairs)I am wondering what the average cost for just the TTS surgery runs.So far I am into it for around $6500.00 that includes pt, MRI *2 as well as two casts,2 cam boots .......such fun!Dr said that walking on a broken heel for 3 1/2 weeks did not help(did not show on x-rays)I feel like I should have a coffee cup with my name on it at my doctors office.

Re: Cost of TTS surgery

chrisb on 2/25/04 at 12:04 (145322)

Steven when you say you're getting the nerve removed, can you explain?
Is this the calcaneal nerve, and the surgeon will cut it? Or are you getting a nerve released?
The costs depend on the hospital where it'll be done, on the surgeon, and on exactly what is being done I think. On this board I've read anywhere from under US$10,000 to $40,000, but the higher figure may be for both feet and something more than TTS I'm not sure. You're in the US I assume.

Steven L. on 2/25/04 at 15:37 (145337)

I am getting my nerve released (TTS) and my calcaneal nerve removed or cut becouse of the severe damage that is causing me a lot of pain.
I live in Des Moines Iowa and am lucky to have a great Doctor.
I have to say I am very lucky to have found this post, people in here have a lot of good recovery ideas !!!Thanx chrisb

chrisb on 2/26/04 at 11:30 (145422)

Steven how did they pin down that it is your calcaneal nerve? What kind of diagnostics did they do?
I'm asking because my calcaneal may be part of my problem.

Steven L. on 3/07/04 at 20:33 (146394)

chrisb The break on my heel was in just the right place to pinch the nerve and the healing of the bone also put pressure on the tarsal canal.
Surgery was done on the 4th and I already feel better.I will think posative for my recovery and quality of life.

chrisb on 3/08/04 at 15:40 (146465)

Glad to hear your surgery went well Steven. Keep the foot up. I'm heading down for surgery myself in 10 days.
Take care.