Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

About Pauline's Posts About Michael Young

Posted by Dorothy on 2/24/04 at 18:35 (145235)

I forgot to say -- when I read your posts from a few years back, Pauline, I noticed that posters in the thread(s) about Michael Young mentioned something that I thought should be repeated here and now and brought to people's attention. It caught my eye because I am guilty of the position that is cautioned against. Maybe you can add to this information, Pauline, but what was said had to with the pain/damage that can be caused by not keeping one's feet flat on the floor while sitting. People commented on keeping their feet 'up on the toes', for example. When I sit at the computer, which I do for long stretches of time, I most often have my left foot (my 'worst foot') up on its toes with my right foot(another 'bad foot' in my collection) wrapped behind the left ankle. I am sure this whole routine is bad and now, with awareness, will try not to do it anymore. Word to the wise: keep the feet flat on the floor - according to those posts from the Michael Young trained therapists and patients. Anything to add to this, Pauline?

Re: About Pauline's Posts About Michael Young

Pauline on 2/24/04 at 21:55 (145255)

In all honesty, I can't remember my earlier posts and I didn't go back to reread them.

I remember someone telling me always sit with both feet flat on the ground especially when sitting at the computer. Whether it was Michael I can't remember. If I said it was him in my earlier post then it was Michael who told me.

I also remember someone telling me never sit with my legs curled under my body. It promotes muscles to shorten. Who I can't remember, but it's the same idea.

We're trying to lengthen our muscles, any position that would tend to shorten them can't be good.

I've gotten in the habit of sitting with my feet always flat in front of me. I don't cross my legs at the knees or sit on them. If I'm sitting for any length of time I find myself, raising them in front of me and for a nice stretch and flexing my foot.

When my P.F. was bad, you'd find me playing with my feet as my husband would say. One or the other was in my hand and I gently massaged them every time I sat down. I had cream next to every chair I used. It was handy and boy did I use it for gentle massage.

Hope this covers the subject for you.

Pauline on 2/24/04 at 21:57 (145256)

That should read NICE STRETCH, not N'ice Stretch as in the night splint by that name.

Pauline on 2/24/04 at 21:59 (145257)

So much for that explaination. I guess you can't write those two words any other way.

Jamie on 2/25/04 at 08:09 (145282)

How about sitting at a computer with one of those things under the desk that has a slope on it. Alot of offices have them for people who work at computers all day. Its just a little ramp thing. It seeems like that would help due to it being like almost having your foot in a night splint while sitting down. Hopefully someone knows the little ramp thing im talking about. I have been resting my bad foot on that while typing. If i shouldnt be ill make sure to stop now. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Julie on 2/25/04 at 08:22 (145287)

Hi (again) Jamie

The tilted footrest is a very good aid because - like the night splint - it holds your feet in a gently dorsiflexed position. Mine is adjustable to different tilts - is yours? The tilted footrest is the exact opposite of keepng your feet in the plantar flexed position (resting on the toes) which contracts shortens the muscles and tendons.

Jamie on 2/25/04 at 08:54 (145293)

Unfortunately mine is not adjustable but i am glad to hear that this is a good thing and not something that is bad. I find it to be very comfortable to rest that bad fot on. Thanks for the input!

Kathy G on 2/25/04 at 09:55 (145302)

I have a rather ugly tiltboard that my husband built for me. I keep it in the corner of the kitchen and I had him make it tilted to the degree that feels most comfortable for me. I use it frequently. It wouldn't be so ugly if I took the time to paint it to match the kitchen!

When I'm on the computer, I frequently put feet up against the inside of the front of the desk (if you can follow that)to get that good stretch (I won't try and say a nice stretch) that was mentioned.

If I don't stretch regularly, my achilles tendon really acts up.

One thing came to my mind and it may be just because I have back problems aggravated by uneven surfaces, but does it bother your back that you only put the bad food on the tiltboard? I'd have to put both my feet on it or my lower back would let me know it. Maybe that's just my weird, but beautiful :), body!

Jamie on 2/25/04 at 11:05 (145306)

No, its never really bothered my lower back at all to only have one foot on the tilt board but im a little bit weird myself. It is a good way to get a good stretch and not even have to do anything but just place the foot on the tilt board.