Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hard plastic rigid orthotice holding up when heavy squatting

Posted by JamieS on 2/24/04 at 19:24 (145238)

Hello,

I was just curious if anyone knew if i am taking a chance of damaging my orthotics by doing heavy squats with them in my shoes. I weigh about 240 pounds then i am squatting anywhere between 300-500 pounds on the bar. This is anywhere from 550-750 pounds on these orthotics. My doc told me to break them if i can and they will be replaced but id rather not break them if at all possible. I just dont want to take a chance of messing them up. Doc told me they are heavy duty and virtually unbreakable but i still have my doubts. thanks guys.

Re: Hard plastic rigid orthotice holding up when heavy squatting

Linda L on 2/24/04 at 19:28 (145241)

you should becareful with squatting that much weight on yourshoulders as you know the feet take all the damage and although you may not notice any damage you wouldnt want your oththotics breaking on your feet with that much weight on your shoulders because your problem might come bak

Julie on 2/25/04 at 01:33 (145264)

Why do you need and wear orthotics? I would have thought 300 pound weights would damage your FEET and whatever condition you need orthotics for, never mind the orthotics. In answer to your specific question, I think I'd agree with Linda.

Jamie on 2/25/04 at 08:01 (145281)

I wear orthotics due to plantar fasc. I mainly have it in my left heel. I have fairly flat feet. I sprint quite often and have all my life. The heel pain started about a year ago and got to the point that i could not sprint anymore without severe pain. With orthotics, taping, the yoga stretches and the foot trainer i am slowly getting back to my sprinting and regular training regimine. I am training for something i will be attending this june that will require alot of speed. I have stopped doing heavy calf raises and i think this has made a huge difference. The squats on the other hand really do not bother my feet at all. I feel no pain during or after squatting. Heavy squats are a must for me. My sport requires strong explosive legs and these squats really help me in that area. i am just worried about breaking the orthotics that are so valuable to me personally because they have helped me come so far and made me so much better off than i was 6 months ago. Thank you for the help and advice as always.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/25/04 at 08:10 (145283)

Hi Jamie,
We have many weight lifters using harder type orthotics and have never had a problem. We see many HUGE college athletes that need that extra support.

If it helps any, I am 215 pounds and squat three to four hundred and I wear the harder plastic with good cushion and never had a problem.
Richard

Julie on 2/25/04 at 08:13 (145284)

Richard, you have been keeping us in the dark about your prowess!

Julie on 2/25/04 at 08:18 (145286)

Hi Jamie

So it's you! Of course I remember your posts and our conversations from January, but it just didn't occur to me that this could be the same Jamie - lifting 500lb weights! I'm so glad you're so much better and able to do this, and if Richard says there is no danger to your orthotics, of course I withdraw my caution.

Keep up the good healing.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/25/04 at 08:28 (145291)

hee hee

Jamie on 2/25/04 at 08:57 (145295)

Thank you for the help Richard. You have taken some worry off my mind.

Jamie on 2/25/04 at 09:03 (145296)

Yep, thats me, the same Jamie. I have been here every day and always try to throw some help in where i can to whomever i can because that is the same thing you good people have done for me from day one. Yeah, my foot is feeling much better now but i know i still have a ways to go. I know if i keep up everything that you all have taught me ill get back to 100% sooner or later. i cant thank my new found friends (you people) enough for their advice and support that they have given me out of the kindness of their hearts.