Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hallux Rigidus

Posted by Paul B on 2/25/04 at 11:12 (145308)

Hi there,

I recently had an operation as I was getting grief on the side of my foot. The operation was for Hallux Velgus and the surgeon basically shaved off some of the bone on ths side of my great toe and corrected the bone to straighten it. The operation was over a year and a half ago and my foot is 10 times more painful than before (but in a different place) and I still have a slight bump on the side of my foot.
The joint in my foot seems stiffer and I have about 10-15 degrees mobility. It's very painful to walk and I've found that I now have slight pains resultinf from this in various areas of my ankle and leg.

I have been to see another consultant and he thinks that I have an arthiritic great toe joint (Hallux rigidus). He recommends that I have a fusion of the big toe. As I am only 24 he thinks this would be the best option.

I wondered if you could tell me if I'll be able to walk normally in shoes and also barefoot after having a fusion - as I would have thought it would alter my walking pattern. I am extremely reluctant to wear any form of insoles also, do you think after this type of operation I would need to?

If not, what are my other options?

Many Thanks,