Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Michael Young Email

Posted by Robert J on 2/25/04 at 11:33 (145315)

Just FYI for those interested in the Michael Young approach, I have copied below his recent email to me. Is this to be believed?

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your interest in our work. I am not coming to So.
California any time soon. Your best option is to come and see me in
Evergreen Colorado. I would only need one 90 min. appointment and your plantar
fasciitis will be history. I know it's not cheap to fly here, get a
rental car, and hotel but it's much less than many people have spent
trying to get rid of this problem. We do have a video called Treating
Planter Fasciitis Yourself. You can check this out on our web-site.
http://www.mrtherapy.com .

Thanks again and let me know if you have any other questions.

Michael Young, NCTMB
Injury and Rehabilitation Therapist
http://www.mrtherapy.com

Re: Michael Young Email

Pauline on 2/25/04 at 11:57 (145319)

Robert,
At one time posters threw money in a pot to purchase special shoes for a poor purson.

Another challenge is on. I'd like to see you cured in 90 minutes. Maybe folks here would be willing to help pay part of your travel expenses as our test case. Why not let us know what you think your total bill would be?

If it's a 90 minute session why would you need a hotel room? Make it a Fly in Fly out day.

I know we'd all want to hear the results of your treatment.

Dorothy on 2/25/04 at 13:12 (145324)

I have no idea, but it certainly has more appeal as something to try than having various tissues, bones, and/or nerves cut, burned, removed, torn, etc. etc. with all of the unknown outcomes.
If you can afford it, what is there to lose? You will learn if it is to be believed or not and there is (I am guessing here, don't know this) probably little to no possibility of permanent damage or disability. You may feel better; you may be relieved of all pain. You may learn techniques that will help you maintain improvments. At worst, you will become more skeptical. With all of the dashed hopes that we have all had from buying every which thing for the appeasement of our feet, I don't see how this could be a bad thing - even if it doesn't turn out to be the great thing.

Robert J on 2/25/04 at 17:32 (145354)

Dorothy and Pauline-

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree that even if the muscle release technique helps somewhat, it would likely be worth it. Pauline, thanks for the suggestion about me being a freebee guinea pig, butI will figure out a way to afford it. After all, Los Angeles isn't THAT far from Colorado...and I will let you know if I make the trip.

Julie on 2/26/04 at 01:25 (145384)

Robert

I would be inclined to question Michael Young a bit more closely before investing in the trip. I liked his website: I thought the information on it was clear and interesting, and his technique sounded sensible. I am less than impressed with his claim: 'I would need only one 90-minute appointment and your plantar fasciitis will be history'.

Plantar fasciitis has a variety of causes. A short, tight gastrocnemius/soleus/achilles complex that produces a strain on the fascia is the root cause of some, but not all, cases. PF also has a variety of degrees, ranging from mild and relatively brief, to severe, chronic and disabling. How much does he know about your particular case?

Perhaps he has been able to 'fix' some cases of PF for which a short GSA complex is the cause, and that have been mild and of short duration. While I believe that stretching that complex safely and effectively is the answer to those cases, I am sceptical about the effectiveness of any stretching technique on a case that has any other cause; or on a disabling case that has been resistant to treatment for years.

I am not suggesting that Michael Young is being knowingly misleading: perhaps he is simply over-enthusiastic about what he offers, which would be understandable. But I do not think that blanket statement can stand up to scrutiny, or to results.

You may feel you know enough about Michael Young and his technique, and have sufficient trust in it, to make the investment. If you do I certainly hope you will be one of the ones his technique will work for. But if it were me, I would want HIM to know more about MY case of PF before deciding.

John T on 2/26/04 at 07:04 (145393)

Guys - I had PF for 2.5 years. Had two Podiatriests, 4 Ccrtisone shots, night splints for 2.5 years, Dr recommended stretches for 2.5 years, physical therapy and ESWT. Nothing fixed my PF pain and the Drs could not tell me what was causing the PF... One weekend with Michael, three sessions, stopped my PF pain. I still have slight pain from a heel spur but no PF pain. I spent well over $5K out of pocket and my Insurance paid many times that. Michael really can fix your PF problem - he did mine! Thanks

Pauline on 2/26/04 at 07:59 (145395)

John,
I really don't know if Michael can cure anyone in one 90 minute session. That was not my experience, but like everything else we've spent our money on if someone has the time, resources, and desire to try his treatment then they should.

My suggesting would not to get your hopes up sooooo high that the dissappointment if his treatment doesn't work brings you down to a depressed state.

Treat the experience like purchasing another pair of orthotics, if it works and you get relief that's wonderful, if not put the experience in your bag along with all the other pairs you bought into and move on.

Don't harbor anger, frustration, and hopelessness because you tried this experience and it failed you.

Julie on 2/26/04 at 08:09 (145397)

John, I'm very glad that Michael was able to help you. I don't dispute that, or that his technique makes sense, or that he is a good practitioner. My point is that his claim that his technique will cure all cases of PF in one 90-minute session really has to be viewed sceptically. (We have at least one example of a non-cyre: Pauline.) Whether it cures any particular case MUST depend on the nature of the particular case; and that is why I suggested that Robert question Michael further, and give him more information about his own case, before spending his money or getting his hopes up.

Pauline, the failure of any treatment is bound to be very disappointing. That is the other reason I made my post to Robert. It makes sense to do the research first: it will help to lessen disappointment, either by putting one off the treatment entirely, or by encouraging more realistic, less extravagant hopes. I would be surprised if you didn't agree - you're after all the great sceptic among us! :)

Julie on 2/26/04 at 08:10 (145398)

That was non-cure, not non-cyre (which sounds enough like a word to necessitate a correction).

John T on 2/26/04 at 09:47 (145412)

Pauline - It worked for me and I saw it work for one other person... I am probably the most skeptical person in the World and I was totally apprehensive till the PF Pain was no more. Try it or don't try it...

John T on 2/26/04 at 09:51 (145413)

Agree - but there is no better way to be pain free. No Orthorotics, night splints nor minor stretching will fix the tight muscles that cause the PF problem - and the Medical Drs don't have a clue... I finally got so fed up that I was ready to try anything...my physical activity had really shut down due to the PF pain...

Pauline on 2/26/04 at 10:05 (145414)

Julie,
Your correct, I am probably the most sceptical person on this site. I'd be the first to tell anyone posting here to do their homework ahead of time prior to doing anything from purchasing orthotics to surgery.

My feeling about Michael's treatment happens to be no different than purchasing a pair of orthotics.

All the homework in town, won't provide a good outcome unless the treatment works for them, whether it be Michaels treatment or a new shiny pair of orthotics. What it will do is simply allow them to make an informed decision based on what they been told and on their own initiative hunted down.

I'd encourage everyone to ask questions all the time. A 90 minute claim to a P.F. cure should be questioned, but realisticly when all the questioning is done, it boils down to every P.F.patient deciding for themselves whether they want to take the risks involved, and spend the money to try a treatment based on facts, common sense, research, and hear say.

Do I say Michael can cure a P.F. case in 90 minutes----NO, but I can't disprove it either. I can only state my first hand experience from MY experience with him. Was I cured NO, was I looser YES.

The person who claims he was cured is a totally different person, with a totally different case of P.F. Obviously his experience was very different from mine.

John H on 2/26/04 at 11:58 (145424)

Pauline: If Michael were around here no doubt about it I would give it a try. I would not, however, have the expectation of a cure in one treatment. If I could received some positive improvement in 4-5 treatments I would be pleased.

Robert J on 2/26/04 at 12:20 (145428)

I think Julie's suggestion that I have another email exchange or two with Michael Young is a good one. My case is atypical and, at 2+ years, long established. I will give him the details of my PF, see what he says, and share the results with all of you. Thanks again for the opinions and advice.

Julie on 2/26/04 at 16:16 (145453)

Pauline, I wasn't discouraging Robert from trying Michael Young's treatment; my point was that he should get, and more importantly give, more information before deciding, so that he can make the kind of informed decision you and I agree we should all be making. That seemed reasonable to me, and it did to Robert too, because that is what he says he is going to do.

Robert, I hope you get good answers from Michael, and that if you decide to go to him you will be one of the people cured, or at least greatly improved.

Julie on 2/26/04 at 16:24 (145454)

John T, I said in my earlier post that tight calf muscles are not the sole cause of PF. They are a common cause, but not the sole cause. I am not sceptical about Michael's technique, which sounds good to me - and I do know something about these things - but about its efficacy in cases of PF where tight muscles are not the cause.

My own case of PF, for example, had nothing to do with tight muscles. My calves are about as well stretched as calves can be, I have a great angle of dorsiflexion, and I still got PF. The causes were different. I wouldn't have needed Muscle Release: what I needed and got were different shoes, taping, and orthotics, and these resolved my PF relatively quickly and, so far, three years on, completely.

Robert J on 2/26/04 at 16:44 (145458)

Julie--

Yr dorsiflexion comment is interesting. How does one measure one's dorseflexion?

Pauline on 2/26/04 at 18:16 (145465)

Julie,
I think the same would be true of professional dancers. A ballet dancer would certainly be stretched, yet still can get P.F.

Julie on 2/27/04 at 01:44 (145490)

Yes indeed, Pauline. One reason for a dancer getting PF could be the continual stressing of the lower back, which in so many cases leads to spinal problems in their later life. It can also lead to PF, if the sciatic nerve is irritated. Dancers are stressing all their structures and tissues all the time, and are prone to many problems.

Re: Robert - and ScottR re measuring angle of dorsiflexion

Julie on 2/27/04 at 02:11 (145493)

Robert

There used to be a section in the heel pain book that described how to measure one's angle of dorsiflexion. It's three years since I followed the instructions for doing it, and can't remember them; and I've searched the heel pain book and can't find it.

ScottR should get a copy of this post through his email and maybe he can tell you where to find it - or how to do it.

You could also ask your podiatrist to do it for you, which would probably give you a more reliable answer anyway.

Dorothy on 2/27/04 at 13:59 (145520)

Sadly, ending up quite hobbled quite young (by all standards but dancers') too often. Ballet, particularly, unnaturally stresses and strains everything and, most often, in the developmental years continuuing on. Back, hips, knees, feet ...
It does seem that in fairly recent years, more dancers and dance companies are using more healthful information and adjunctive activity (yoga, Pilates, physical therapy, for some examples) but the field is loaded with risk - diet/bone health in developmental years, for example. I adore ballet - and dance, in general - and it has always been part of my life, but the analogy is the illusion that is created on stage is also the illusion it carries in life: So much beauty and grace that just seems like a time bomb for trouble and pain and disability.

But then, how many failed hip surgeries has Mike Ditka (football) had? Quite a few. So, one wonders if all the fame and/or glory and/or adulation in the performing years is worth it when one finally starts to realize: health is everything.

Julie on 2/27/04 at 14:36 (145525)

Yes, Dorothy. It happens to gymnasts too. It's very sad. A friend and teaching colleague of mine, who was a dancer with the Royal Ballet in earlier life, has been struggling with a degenerating spine and various other problems for the last 20 years. She enjoyed her dancing years, but now wishes she had led a different life.

It's hard to say how most dancers, footballers, etc would feel. For some, the money may make it all worthwhile. It certainly wouldn't for me.

Rose on 2/27/04 at 21:24 (145549)

Does this help if one has already had open release surgery????

Rose on 2/27/04 at 21:31 (145550)

You never know what might work. I hve a good friend who teaches aerobics and step and had a very bad case of PF for seveal years. She finally cured it by giving up white sugar, wheat, and corn. Who would have known. So I guess sometimes allergies to various foods may be a cause. She searched doctor and method after method and finally founjd her answer. Another outcome, after giving up these foods, she became much more flexible in all areas of her body.