Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

voodoo

Posted by chrisb on 2/25/04 at 19:57 (145361)

I've hesitated to post this for 2 months because all of us would love to jump at a magic cure, and its irresponsible to flog voodoo products on a useful site like this.
However, there are things out there that some individuals idiosyncratically suggest may have helped them. I think Scott mentioned that magnets might have helped him.
Anyway, two months ago a friend gave me a product called bio tape. I was extremely skeptical. You tape it onto the area (in my case around the sole of the foot). Did I mention how skeptical I was? The first time I tried it, I could have sworn the pain was immediately lessened. Not gone, but more bearable, and it got me through the night. A coincidence I thought. But now I have had that same experience 3 or 4 more times with this product and I don't think its just in my mind.
So I thought I'd share this, in a skeptical kind of way. I must add that it has not had any permanent effect, and I am heading for TTS surgery. My experience might indicate, though, that whatever effect this product may or may not have, it might be that it is more likely in cases where there is nerve involvement.

Re: NOT voodoo, but I'd say SCAM !

BrianG on 2/25/04 at 21:05 (145365)

Hi Chrisb,

As someone who has been 'sucked into' one too many PF cures, I am quick to do a little research when I see a product like this. I don't doubt that it may have helped you, but then again people get better every day from taking placebos. First I went to Google, and found this product is sold mostly by Infomercials (Red Flag!). It's extremely expensive, a 90' roll is a whopping $20. Plus, you need to buy a special waterproof tape to cover the Bio tape, which is $4.50 for 180'. Even this is over priced!

Second, I went to one of my favorite web sites, http://www.quackwatch.com If you type Bio tape into the search engine, you get 2 hits. One for the product (questionable treament) and one for the developer Darrell Stoddard, (problems with the FDA for Bio tape, and another product, Coral Calcium).

If anyone wants to try this product, I'd suggest you read about it at Quackwatch. In fact, you might just want to go there, to see the large number of 'scams' that are out there, just waiting to take our money.

I'll pass on this one,
BrianG

Rick R on 2/26/04 at 07:00 (145392)

Brian,

Many people that get PF will have it simply run its course and go away. What ever they happen to be trying at the time may seem at the moment to have been significant. I look at the proclamations of a miracle cure with this in mind. I believe the proclamations are often genuine and sincere, but misguided nonetheless. Then of course there's the pure purveyors of poppycock out there as well. This one does have that aroma.

Rick

chrisb on 2/26/04 at 11:13 (145419)

I know, I know. I hit quackwatch too. Its been panned several places. I'm absolutely not endorsing it. I'm a journalist -- skeptical by nature and extremely skeptical about voodoo like this. My experience may have just been coincidental with some other thing going on. I'm just reporting that the coincidence happened more than once.

Re: voodoo

John H on 2/26/04 at 12:22 (145429)

If one has the perception that some product may help with a condition it may in fact appear to help some condions (placebo effect). This help may quickly dissapear after a period of time. You can only hope the product does not have some serious side effect.

Dorothy on 2/26/04 at 14:57 (145444)

Likewise, chrisb - quackwatch has been panned because its founder and sustainer reportedly does not have the credentials or knowledge or supporting information to make all the charges he does. He has lost lawsuits along these same lines. He does have an 'M.D.' after his name, but he is a psychiatrist, and he is passing judgment in all areas of medicine and science, as well as pseudoscience, medical and science issues that are likely way outside his area of knowledge - and, as I recall, has been retired from even that for many years. A service like quackwatch would be a valuable service and he may be providing some good service, but he is reportedly not a reliable source. My recommendation to anyone is to take quackwatch the way you take anything else: with care, with healthy skepticism, with a grain of salt. There are probably some things worth knowing on his site and some worth dismissing.

Julie on 2/26/04 at 16:34 (145456)

Well said, Dorothy. Quackwatch definitely needs its own watchdog. It's a purely debunking operation, and while some of the things it debunks are deservedly debunked, some are not. I didn't realise that the manager lacks credentials - thanks for pointing that out.