Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post Surgery Big Toes

Posted by Connie on 2/26/04 at 00:56 (145382)

Dr. Z
I am 6 month postop joint replacement of both big toes. You thought I might have a tight tendon or tight joint. I am going to a physical therapist monday to work on the problem . I am trying to do toe raises as you suggested but they are very painful.

Will a tight tendon or joint also cause you to throw your weight to the outside? Will continue to do toe raises 10 times three times a day and do you think they will get any easier? Will walking around on my toes constantly loosen that tendon up?

Thanks Again! Connie

Re: Post Surgery Big Toes

Dr. Z on 2/26/04 at 15:58 (145451)

Hi
The toe raise can hel alot. Lack of motion at the big toe joint will cause you to walk on the outside of your foot.
The question is why you have this tightness. Is it the joint or is it the tendon/ The position of the entire first metatarsal bone needs to be taken into account

Connie on 2/26/04 at 17:39 (145462)

Dr Z

How long would you give physical therapy a chance to change this. Is this hard to fix once the source of the tightness is found? Thanks,
Connie

Dr. Z on 2/26/04 at 20:43 (145472)

This hard to fix. I would give this three to six weeks for some improvement. If no improvement surgery may be in order again