Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

policemans heal

Posted by mel c on 2/26/04 at 05:47 (145388)

can u please give me some information on what policemans heal is, what causes it, if any and how to live with it, what can be done to try ease the pain or to cure it, if it can? thanks

Re: policemans heal

Rick R on 2/26/04 at 10:20 (145415)

I believe that this is a term for PF. I know in past discussions that has been the conclusion.


Re: policemans heal

BrianJ on 2/26/04 at 10:25 (145416)

Yes, I believe 'policeman's heel' is a phrase used by people in the UK to denote plantar fasciitis.

Re: policemans heal

Julie on 2/26/04 at 16:08 (145452)


As the others have said, 'policeman's heel' is a nickname for plantar fasciitis. It's an inflammation of the plantar fascia, a ligament-like band that runs from the ball of the foot to the heel, encapsulating the muscles that support the arch. It's vulnerable to strain, especially in people who are on their feet all the time (like policemen-on-the-beat and mail carriers) and it is not to be taken lightly.

You can read the heel pain book (click on the blue words) for information about its causes and ways of dealing with it, and then come back here with specific questions. You should certainly see a podiatrist (foot specialist) for a full examination and a diagnosis of what has caused it, and a treatment plan to address whatever the cause is.