Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I've had surgery please help with suggestions for recovery

Posted by James C on 2/26/04 at 08:48 (145406)

Hi I've had tarsal tunnel and pf in both feet for about a year now.I have been to three different podiatrist and have tried all conservative measures ( taping,pt,orthotics,cort injections,).My Pod sent me to another to have the new EWST done on both feet and this I believe made mine worse.Iwent to have a MRI and also a nerve conductivity test and this showed that I had Tarsal tunnel.So my pod done a partial release of the pf and also a release of the tendons on the tibial nerve areas on my left foot.He said he would do my other foot approx. 8-12 weeks later. I have been putting a little weight on my foot with a walking boot on.I got my stiches out on 02-24-04.He said it would be 8 weeks on crutches.I cannot tell that it has helped me yet.I guess because I still have so much pain when I put my foot down.The biggest problem that I am having is that I am having to put all of my wt on my right foot and it is killing me because of the pf and tarsal tunnel in it.Any suggestions on a speedy recovery is welcome

Re: I've had surgery please help with suggestions for recovery

BrianG on 2/27/04 at 09:01 (145500)

Hi James C

I don't know, but it seems that you are rushing from one procedure, into another, without giving either a chance to work. I'd stop here, and give it some time. Both ESWT, and surgery can take up to a year to see the full results. It would seem that your doctor is 'cut happy'. I can tell you that you risk some major problems every time you go under the knife, RSD, etc.

Kick back, ice, tape when you can, and just give what you have already had done, a chance to work. Physical therapy down the road might even be a good choice. If you initially came down with the PF because of hard flooring at work, I'd serioulsly think about a new job.

Regards
BrianG

PS: were you tested for TTS before you had ESWT? If not, you may want to ask your Pod why, then call a lawyer, as ESWT is not indicated for TTS.

James C on 2/27/04 at 09:45 (145503)

Thanks for the info. I am probably the one that is in a hurry,My dr.I feel is rushing because of workers comp. He is trying to satisfy them as well as me.I am a letter carrier for the post office and have walked on avg 8-12 miles everyday for the past 15 years.I know that I need to be more patient and I am trying but it is hard when you've been as active as I've been. Workers comp has not really been a problem they just have their timetables that they say it should take for me to heal.I would have probably waited longer than 12 weeks after my EWST surgery if workers comp hadn't thought I should be back to work .I was still on light duty at work because I could not walk, all I could do was get to work and get home as far as my walking was concerned.I hope this surgery helps me as workers comp expects me back to work asap.I am still looking at 5-9 weeks before the dr. does my right foot. I am not going to do the right foot if my left foot is not doing as well as I would like.

BrianG on 2/27/04 at 22:07 (145552)

Hi James,

With all the walking you do at work, it is most likely going to be a long healing period for you. You have rights, contact a lawyer, or union rep if necessary. If workman's comp forces you back to work too soon, there is the possibility you could become disabled.

I can't remember his name, but we had a postal employee posting here about a year ago. He ended up on Social Security Disability. I'm sure you don't want to go down that path. I know that you have been active all of your life, most of us were in the same boat. You probably don't realize it yet, but PF can be harder to cure than, heart trouble. Just ask David Letterman. And like I tell every one, DOCUMENT. Start a journal, write down where it hurts, how much it hurts, what you can no longer do, all that good stuff. I'm not suggesting that you write in it every day, but write enough so that you can back up your pain, if necessary. Just telling a doc, or lawyer that you still hurt, won't get you too far.

Good luck
BrianG