Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr Z

Posted by Patty P on 2/27/04 at 07:31 (145496)

Dr z,

I had a cortisone injection for tenosynovitis of the Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendon and it did not help. When i did have the injection my foot went complety numb for 24 hours,but it was not painful just felt like my foot was asleep and could not feel it if i touched it. The numbness wore off after 24 hours and had normal feeling back but my pain was still in the FHL area. I would like to know why this numbness happened and did my podaitrsit cause me nerve damage? AS i stated easrlier i now have only pain in the area of the fhl tendons, with no numbness or tingling. Would i benefit from a hard cast? I tried ionto patch with also no success. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Dr Z

Dr. Z on 2/27/04 at 09:54 (145505)

Hi Patty

Where was the injection placed? The numbness was most likely from the local anesthetic mixed with the steriod medication. To be most specific is the FHL tendonitis at the level of the ankle, tarsal tunnel compartment or at the sesamoid complex. This will make a difference with treatment suggestions.

Patty on 2/27/04 at 10:53 (145509)

Dr Z,

Thank you for responding. My injection was done at the inside of the ankle area below the medial malleous. It is right about where the tarsal tunnel area is located. The FHL pain is specifiaclly located in this inner ankle region as i can pinpoint the actuual tender spot. I would desribe this pain as a persistent tender aching pain and when palpated is very tender to the touch. Once again I have NO NUMBNESS OR TINGLING IN TOES JUST PERSISTENT LOCALIZED PAIN IN THE INNER ANKLE REGION BELOW THE MEEIAL MALLEOUS. THANK YOU AND I APPRECIATE your advice. Do i still have a chance of this healing after 5.5 months?

Dr. Z on 2/29/04 at 13:48 (145659)

This was confirmed by MRI? How do they know it isn't your deltoid ligament?