Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

1)Alta Vista Babel Fish 2) Thank you Dr. Rompe

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 2/27/04 at 15:39 (145529)

Alta Vista Babel Fish
Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 2/27/04 at 15:27 View Thread
If anyone has a chance, get onto Alta Vista and try their 'Babel Fish' service -- it is a free translation service. I have used in primarily for German due to so much of the ESWT literature emanating from there. Dr. Rompe has been very gracious in emailing me lots of literature but always finding English versions (I may repeat this post on the ESWT board since I beleive that is the only one he reads regularly). We often take for granted the efforts of others to accomodate us in our language.

I don't know if Babel Fish translates non-Romanic languages/characters, ie. Cyrllic, Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, etc.
Ed
Posted in Category: Social / Support

Re: 1)Alta Vista Babel Fish 2) Thank you Dr. Rompe

Dr. Z on 2/27/04 at 19:17 (145540)

Ed,

Any articles about ESWT and chronic Tennis elbow?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/27/04 at 20:02 (145541)

Dr. Z:
I remember seeing quite a few on the http://www.ismst.com website which is in English. I have not been there for a while. The society meets every February so there should be a slew of new stuff to look at very soon. Now all I need is a 28 hour day.
Ed

Dr. Z on 2/27/04 at 21:16 (145548)

I will look at the web site each week. Believe it or not if it were not for Elliott's essay on the dornier vs Ossatron I would never have found an article on a pilot study that I have been looking for months. Elliott thank you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/28/04 at 11:15 (145584)

Dr. Z:
I think that Elliott keeps us on our toes. His style can sometimes come across as too aggressive but like I, you are in the 'people service' business and deal with a diversity of personalities...
Ed

Now, if I could only get Elliott to do me (or this site) a favor. I would like just a very short essay/explanation of the experimental design process with a basic lesson in statistics, in lay terms. I think that more readers than not do not know what a 'chi squared' test means....
Ed

wendyn on 2/28/04 at 11:18 (145585)

A chi square distribution is used as a test to see how well a set of observation 'fits' an expected set of observations.

It's been years since I took stats, so that's all I know.

Dr. Z on 2/28/04 at 11:20 (145586)

I have no problem with being kept on my toes. I even like to have them flexed every day

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/28/04 at 15:20 (145603)

Wendyn:
Yes. I was hoping that 'for the record' and for the benefit of all readers here, that more complete explanation could be included.
Ed

wendyn on 2/28/04 at 18:04 (145613)

Yes Ed, and I was hoping that my half-a*%ed explanation might inspire him to post something more elaborate.

;)

elliott on 3/01/04 at 08:59 (145701)

Dr. Ed, I think the other Dr. was far more aggressive in promoting his product with a faulty comparison of success rates than I was in debunking it. (BTW, his web site still has that comparison up, this even though he now knows it's faulty.) And how about his aggressive posts of late? Is there some kind of unwritten rule to never put a fellow DPM in check? I'm tired of this always being laid on me.

Regarding a basic lesson in statistics, well, how much am I going to get paid? The correct way is to start with the rudiments of probability, then cover the discrete and continuous probability distributions (the latter ideally requiring knowledge of calculus), then the central limit theorem, then move on to statisical measures, then hypothesis testing, then study design in particular (for which I readily admit I don't know enough about, so I would have to read a book on it, something I was planning to get around to one day but don't really need). Sure, shortcuts could be taken or the material waterered down (e.g., by using table lookups instead of ever mentioning the word 'integral'--I once taught HS prob & stats and this is what the book did), but that's all far less than ideal. It is a known sad joke that a lot of researchers knowing little themselves hire a statistician and put together a published study that ends every sentence with parentheses like (p-value = whatever1), (significance level = whatever2) so as to lend it authority, and they don't have the foggiest idea of what it means, and their study is junk. A solid foundation gives one a sense of what sounds kosher and what doesn't. Sure, I could give a quick explanation of and example using the chi-squared distribution, but the last time I tried a math-oriented post (recall the surprise examination paradox), there was a gang slaying and a pack of vultures finished off the remains. No thanks.

[]

Dr. Z on 3/01/04 at 17:16 (145741)

Elliott,

The name is Dr. Z or Dr. Zuckerman and don't make any assumptions about what I know or don't know.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/02/04 at 18:11 (145838)

Wendyn and ScottR:
It would be a good idea to have it 'embedded' as permanent 'text' on the Board so that when discusssion come up there is something for readers to use as a convenient reference.
Ed