Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need help here

Posted by JudyB on 3/01/04 at 11:31 (145713)

My symptoms:

Pain in arch near heel when standing for more than 10 minutes

Pain in tendon that connects to the first metatarsal head when walking for more than 10 minutes (right foot)

No morning pain, but a little discomfort when stepping out of bed

When I press on fascia when my feet hurt, it hurts

I have been to a podiatrst, she fitted me with orthodics which help some, but still have problems. She says I have fasciitis and sesamottis (spelling?).

Icing helps a lot, but doesn't that just cover up the symptom? Plus after 30minutes of icing, pain returns.

What is this? This has been going on for a year!

Thank you.

Re: Need help here

AndrueC on 3/02/04 at 10:07 (145784)

The medical terms she used were probably:

Plantar Fasciitis

The former is what this site is mostly about so read the heel pain book for some very useful information. PF is notorious for lasting a long time in some people and one year is nothing particularly unusual.

The latter is inflammation of (or around) the small bones under the ball of the big toe. This usually settles with appropriate treatment and now you know the spelling you can look that up on the web :)

One thing:PF can cause other issues because you start to walk funny in order to alleviate the pain.

JudyB on 3/02/04 at 12:04 (145804)

Thanks Andrew,
My pain is more in the arch and upper part of the arch. Is this normal with PF? I thought it was more in the heel, at least that's what the diagram says on the Heelspurs.com page.

It feels better when I take my shoes off too, is this normal?

Kathy G on 3/03/04 at 09:12 (145912)

Hi Judy,

I have PF and my major complaint for the first few years was pain in my arches. In fact, although I now have pain in my heels from time to time, the majority of the time, my pain is in the arch area. And I almost never have heel pain in the morning, at first step, as so many people do. PF, unfortunately takes on many forms but it's all still PF.

The majority of people find that their PF is worse if they go without shoes and many here never do that. Some even use shower shoes. Again, it's individual.

The best bet is to read Scott's Heel Pain book and try Julie's Yoga exercises. You need to fool around and figure out what works to give you relief. Some people use ice; some use heat. Some find anti-inflammatories help, some find they don't. Some people swear by taping. Some love Birkenstocks. Some love New Balance. It's just a very individual thing and you need to figure out what works best for you.

Many of the people who post to these boards are people who have recovered from PF so take heart! And those of us who haven't totally recovered still find that if we have a bad flare-up, our recovery time is much shorter.

Good luck and be sure to check out the other boards. Our Social/Support Board is a great place to vent or to talk about anything that's not specifically Treatment related.

AndrueC on 3/03/04 at 09:44 (145917)

That sounds exactly like mine. I hardly ever had first step pain anywhere but that point on the heel has been tender from time to time.

At its worst my PF just meant I had sore arches (aside from a couple of genuine injuries). Now that I'm stretching my calves and hamstrings and wearing orthosis (SDOs and more conventional ones as the mood takes me) the general soreness has all but gone.

Right now my arches are still a bit tender (I have a slight invisible bump about half way along both) but although one or two places used to get aggravated by walking those spots have moved out of the way - the SDOs in particular are good at that.

Other than that my feet do seem to bruise easily. Not visibly as such but I can cause myself discomfort for several days by being careless when putting shoes on. Once or twice I've been putting sneakers on and have pushed by heel down on to the edge of the V shaped grove at the back. That hurts. A lot. For several hours.

One odd feature I've found though is socks. If I wear socks (just normal men's socks) then by the end of the day my feet will be irritated. Not enough to cause pain but enough to attract my attention. This is true even though I have a desk job and spend most of the day sat down - it really seems that the socks themselves irritate my feet.

I genuinely feel I am close to being cured (although wearing socks can convince me otherwise). For me the solutions were:

Orthosis. SDOs are good at reducing inflammation and moving sore spots out of harm's way. They also allow you to get out and about at an early stage since I could wear them when conventional orthosis were too painful.

Stretching. This seems to be becoming a general problem for me. My muscles are all tending to tighten. Whether it's age or stress I don't know but I'm building up quite a repetoire of stretches :)

Not wearing socks. This one is weird but if it helps, do it :)

Trying to remain active. Complete rest made things worse for me. Both physically and mentally.

OTOH one thing to note:My PF has never stopped me walking and I suspect that in comparison to a lot of people I have been lucky. This might be because I've never been overwheight and always used to walk a lot. I believe that my feet were just overused.

JudyB on 3/03/04 at 12:25 (145925)

Thank you Kathy....
My next question is ESWT. I've read that DrZ doesn't recommend ESWT if there is no morning pain. Does this mean if I decide to have ESWT it will not work?

Re: sesamoiditis

sandy h. on 3/06/04 at 08:54 (146199)

I have been told I have this and the pain under my first metatarsal is the thing that is lingering the longest for me. it is a very niggly thing. forefoot posting on orthotics has helped to avoid the worst of the twinging pain when first starting to walk but left that area feeling a bit bruised. Any experts out there?