Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT CAN IT MAKE YOU WORSE?

Posted by James C on 3/01/04 at 11:42 (145715)

I just want to say that I had this procedure done on both feet in early Oct.and this has not helped me at all. I finally had to go under the knife on my left foot and so far I don't know if it worked either. Could this procedure of made me worse. I had tts and partial pf done on my left foot but my rt foot is twice as bad as it was before the ESWT. IS THIS POSSIBLE.

Re: ESWT CAN IT MAKE YOU WORSE?

MARK L on 3/01/04 at 15:11 (145733)

Would you please postsome additional information on your initial diagnosis, type of ESWT treatment you received, and what you did post therapy ie: medication, exercise, avoidance of barefoot walking, etc?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/02/04 at 23:09 (145874)

James:
There are no documented cases of such a thing happening. Keeping in mind that ESWT is only part of a comprehensive treatment plan for PF, what other treatments were done concurrently and previously?
Ed

James C on 3/04/04 at 12:49 (146012)

Hi Ed
There were rest ,ice, taping,orthotics.cortizone inj,light duty work for the last 9 months. I was told to return to light duty work 3 days post op.of the eswt procedure.I am a mail carrier and I walk 10 miles a day so I had to go back to light duty work.I feel like the pain is a lot worse in my right foot ,this could be where I am walking on crutches and putting to much weight on my right foot.My current pod is not the one that performed my eswt and I don't know for sure which type of the eswt procedures it was.
James

Ed Davis,DPM on 3/05/04 at 08:26 (146070)

James:
It sounds like you have done most of the right things. I would not focus on the type of ESWT you have had as I feel that all of the devices work (some of the debate about differences between the devices on this board is driven by economic considerations).

Does your podiatrist have a theory as to why you are worse? Please read Scott's Heel Pain Book and see how well your symptoms match up as we need to consider the possibility that there exists something other than PF going on or possibly something else superimposed on PF.
Ed

Deb D on 3/10/04 at 19:24 (146637)

I have had the same problem. I had eswt in Oct. Got layed off from work in Nov. And my foot has gotten worse. It feels like my tts has come back.