Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hello again!

Posted by Rachael T. on 3/01/04 at 12:42 (145723)

Hi to all! Yes, still in Fla. & stopping in to say hello & that PF is still w/ me but in a much milder way than past 3 years. I feel alot better wearing SDO's & I bike ride daily for at least 40 minutes & sometimes longer, I swim daily-30 minutes of laps in the pool, & ride a horse fairly often, but walking ALOT still 'tests' my feet!!! This past Sun., I must have 'mall walked' a bit more than I should've. I also added squats (using phys. therapy ball against the wall moving it up & down the wall w/ my back)to my stretches.....don't know if this added squat exercise 'did my feet in' - or not...I am wondering as we all do when we have a setback.....I've mall walked a few times these past months & I didn't come up sore like I did this past Sunday. Anyway, I continue to work w/ Dr. Kiper SDOs & Brooks Ariels ~ & shall continue to keep you all posted here as I've done in the past. I'd like your thoughts on the 'squats' exercise & more.

Re: Hello again!

SteveG on 3/01/04 at 13:52 (145730)

Glad to hear you are still doing better. I would watch the squats. About a year ago I did some squats as part of a physical therapy session for my knees. They caused a serious set back in my feet. I used one of the machines, so the wall squat might be easier on your feet, but take it easy and monitor what seems to work for you and what doesn't. I, too, am better these days, but too much walking or standing will cause trouble. I played several games of pool the other day and my feet bothered me that night. However, a year ago standing around and playing pool would have been out of the question. I am deep pool running and biking. I am determined to loose 10 more pounds, since I think the 25 that I have lost has helped my feet.

Good luck to you Rachael - and keep getting better!

Rachael T. on 3/02/04 at 11:38 (145797)

Thanks Steve! Good to hear from you. I am here at lib. again today - to chk.mail & thought I'd write. My setback was more 'scary' than long lasting....I took (4-400mg) ibup. on Mon. & 2 today & I am much improved; it is just soooo scary when a setback happens - as it takes you back to 'where we once were' & I don't wanna go there again! - do you have that same mentality? I must remind myself that setbacks aren't as long lasting! I think though that my SDOs are a good thing - I am unsure tho'...now if Birk wearing is good for my feet....seems like they're ultra sensitive & want cushy! I am questioning Tempur pedic shoes....have you seen them? They have the clog slipper/shoes by Tempur pedic - in Brookstone Stores -- they are closed cell foam & form to your feet per your body temp & such.....like the tempurpedic memory pillows & mattresses on tv ads. I may just try them one day -- if anyone has, I'd love to hear about it.

Rachael T. on 3/02/04 at 11:39 (145798)

oops! I forgot to say thanks for advisement on squats--they are history as of now - for sometime! smiling as I type that! --as they were the only thing different that I did all week!

Suzanne D. on 3/02/04 at 15:11 (145813)

Hi, Rachael! It's good to hear from you. Yes, setbacks are scary!I've 'been there' several times. Right now, I'm doing well and thankful to say that.

I know we've discussed this before, but it does seem like *change* helps, doesn't it? I got some Madera Birkenstocks in December and wore them almost exclusively from then until just recently. I am now wearing my Annapolis more often, but the footbed is the same. I use the removeable footbeds from the Annapolis which I had modified in the Madera as well. For quite some time, the Madera felt the very best. Now the Annapolis do. I don't really know why, but I'll go with the change if it works.

Best wishes to you! When are you returning from Florida?

Take care,
Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 3/03/04 at 09:03 (145910)

It's nice to hear from you Rachael! I'm glad that the sunny weather in Florida is agreeing with you. I'm sure you must have noticed further down on the page that there was quite a discussion about squatting with PF. I wonder if it was that, rather than the mall walking, that caused your problem.

Hope you bounce back quickly!

Good to hear from you and thanks for checking in!

Rachael T. on 3/03/04 at 15:42 (145934)

Thanks for your reply! & your Hello! Today, I am much improved...from my most recent & fortunately - short lived setback which I am now attributing to doing some squatting exercises....guess I shall delete them from my agenda & maybe forever! Glad you are doing good. I think swimming & biking has been good for me phys. & emotionally. My SDOs are a good thing too! I am digging them more than 'hard' orthosis! Continue to heal! & Take care!