Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Happy 100th Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Posted by Suzanne D. on 3/02/04 at 06:42 (145767)

Today at school we are celebrating the 100th birthday of Dr. Seuss, author of THE CAT IN THE HAT, GREEN EGGS AND HAM, and a host of other imaginative stories. His writing did more for beginning reading than he probably ever imagined it would do.

My favorite is HORTON HATCHES THE EGG. I love that old dependable elephant who was fond of saying, 'I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful 100%!'

What's your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

Suzanne :)

Re: Happy 100th Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Julie on 3/02/04 at 08:46 (145778)

Oh, Suzanne! Horton Hatches the Egg. Definitely, Horton. A brilliant book. My favourite for ages as a child. I was furious at that selfish Maizie who flew off to Florida leaving her egg in the lurch. I can still see Horton sitting on the nest in the tree, being faithful to his promise.

I think Dr Seuss taught more than reading: he taught good values. Happy Birthday Dr Seuss!

Dorothy on 3/02/04 at 11:13 (145789)

I just read a lengthy newspaper article featuring his wife Audrey Geisel yesterday in which she said he really did not like to be around children at all, that he was glad if they liked his books, but he preferred to avoid children, that he was 'afraid of children'. Also, he and Audrey were both married to others when they began their relationship which led eventually to divorces and remarriages and apparently scandal around all of it. I was not aware of any of this and was contrasting this with your 'good values' comment - realizing full well that a writer's personal life and written work are different spheres. They - and Audrey - are gazillionaires resulting from his writing. Audrey has gotten deeply into marketing of the Dr. Seuss stuff which I don't think Geisel did when he was alive. To her credit, she really disliked what had been done in the recent 'Cat in the Hat' movie but is moving on to recover the Dr. Seuss' 'industry's' central brand/image - that they have removed it from 'the litter' - I didn't see the movie but the promos for it were so sexually suggestive and full of double-entendres that it seemed a complete misappropriation of that book.
As for author's work and author's life being disparate, one of my favorite 'children's' (not really limited to children) authors is Roald Dahl and one of my favorite books is 'The BFG' - but I have read that his personal life was considered scandalous, although I do not know why. I love his childrens' books so much that I would just say to him: all is forgiven. Please understand that I have no thought that an author's personal life should be considered on par with his/her creation; it was just that in Geisel's case, it was kind of a startling point about children.

Dorothy on 3/02/04 at 11:17 (145791)

'Oh, The Places You Will Go' (title may be approximation)

Richard, C.Ped on 3/02/04 at 11:24 (145795)

I do not like those silly books.
I do not like them with fish hooks.
When I read them I feel insane.
When I read them it hurts my brain.
There are way to many silly curves.
Those darn books get on my nerves.

marie on 3/02/04 at 17:16 (145830)

Today I read 'Horton Hears a Who' while the fourth grade was working on their sculpture project. The kids said 'So that's where Whoville is!'

I can't remember the exact words but it goes something like this...A person is a person no matter how small they are. Together Whoville made the world hear them...and it took each member of Whoville to accomplish this task. Dr. Seus was a wise man!

I wonder where the grinch was while all this was going on. Thank goodness for that kind hearted elephant, Horton, who stood by and protected them.

wendyn on 3/02/04 at 20:35 (145854)

A favourite?

Green Eggs and Ham - and The Cat in the Hat.

I also like the Sneetches.

My oldest LOVED The Foot Book when he was really young. I believe I may have read it every night for well over a year.