Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back of the Heel Pain near achilles

Posted by Joe M on 3/02/04 at 12:59 (145809)

5 Years ago I began pain in the back of both heels near the achilles. The pain was toward the heel to the outside of the heel. I originally thought that it was my constant driving and resting my feet on those exact same locations. I changed this and a few months later my right foot pain dissapeared. My left foot pain practically dissapeared. For the last 2.5 years there has been pain whenever I play any basketball or volleyball or even hiking.

I've gained much 35 lbs by lifting weights 4 yrs ago and a few in the last yr or so. I play a lot of basketball and volleyball. I've tried insoles which helps some of the pain. I find it hurts a lot when i walk on hard surfaces.

I have tried to rest it by not playing for 2 periods of 6 months. But the next time i start warming up it starts hurting like it did 6 months before. I find that it hurts more when i jump and land. (I take off with the left and land left).

What do I have?