Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS

Posted by Gena M on 3/03/04 at 11:48 (145924)

Hi. I've had problems w/my left foot for about 15 years. At first it was only mildly irritating and the pain would go away after getting off me feet for awhile. Now the pain has becomee excrutiating after I've been standing or walking for a short time and even w/rest, it quickly returns for the remainder of the day.
I went to a podiatrist who said I have a Morton's neuroma. I asked why all three middles toes were involved and she said that the additional toe was likely not part of the pain. She also dismissed the shooting pains I feel up into my leg and knee as unrelated.
Well, I have been in so much pain that I consented to surgery to remove the neuroma. It has been 3 weeks and I now know that this was not the case. After speaking with an orthotics maker, he suggested a couple of possibilities and that's how I learned about TTS. According to most of the info. I have read, the symptoms I told the podiatrist should have had her questioning her diagnosis.
Anyway, what I'm really wondering is how effective surgery is for this? According to data I've read, the results aren't always satisfying. By using orthotics is the pain alleviated for a period of time, only to require surgery in the future or can surgery be avoided all together?

I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself and really wanting some relief soon. I have two small children that are forced to play alone and watch tv a great deal because I'm in so much pain for a good part of the day - party due to the unneccesary surgery and part to what I believe to be TTS. I will be seeing the person that creates fits people w/othotics and custom orthotics tomorrow. Is it to early to use orthotics since I still have swelling from the surgery?

I am searching for a new podiatrist in Minnesota to help and listen to me, any suggestions?

I would like to have an MRI done, but have heard these are not always conclusive. I do have lower back pain; pretty flat arches - worst in the left foot; pain, numbness, and tingling in my 3 middle toes; tingling throughout my foot (no real pain or numbness though).

Any thoughts or suggestions on this whole thing?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Gena M.

Re: TTS

Kara S. on 3/03/04 at 14:20 (145930)

Go to http://www.dellon.com

wendyn on 3/03/04 at 21:43 (145956)

Gena, what type of blood work did your doctor do before surgery? Have you had any possible systemic causes ruled out? (i.e. diabetes, thyroid problems, rheumatoid arthritis)

How's your health and physical condition (other than your feet of course)

Surgery to remove a neuroma is very different from TTS surger (from what I understand).

Did you get a copy of your surgical results?

I would be very reluctant to have new orthotics case 3 weeks after surgery...

Gena M on 3/15/04 at 22:17 (147093)

No bloodwork was done prior to surgery. I recently had a thyroid test done and it was negative. During my pregnancy I was tested for gestational diabetes and the results were negative, so I'm expecting that this would still be negative now. I have not been tested for rheumatoid arthritis, but it doesn't run in my family.

Physical condition is pretty inactive and overweight. I used to run 3 miles a day, then was reduced to only walking and since my first son was born, I rarely could even go for walks and now this is out of the question because of the pain.

The pathology report stated that a Morton's neuroma was removed. I have made appts. w/two other podiatrists in April. One of these spoke w/me and said he had written a article on TTS and it was published, so I'm hoping he not only knows a lot about this syndrome, but a better understanding of causes of foot pain.

I did get some Birkenstock orthotics/inserts because I've been so desparate for some relief. They are slightly helpful and allow me to be on my feet for longer than I can be w/o the orthotics. They have not proven to be the cure all I had been hoping for.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will mention these to the new drs. I see in April.