Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Im @ 1 week after surgery, do I really have to wear this dang boot?

Posted by Dave H on 3/05/04 at 10:23 (146090)

Hi all, this is my first post even though I've lurked for a bit.

As of today Im at 1 week after my heel spur/fascia release surgery, the doctor cut 2/3rd of the way through a severely thickened fascia and chopped out a 3/4 inch spur.
I've had remarkably little pain after the first two days and I quit taking the pain meds on the third day. (percoset)

At any rate I had a follow up on the 5th day and he took off the bandages and put on this awkward big black boot, I dont think I really need it since Im already able to put at least 50% of the normal load on the foot with only mild, ignorable pain while Im crutching around the house and going up and down stairs.

I can understand wearing it when I go out of the house, but do I really need to wear the blasted thing all the time when Im out of bed?

I would think that not wearing it would be beneficial since moving the foot and using it as much as the pain allows would help keep the foot limber, prevent scar tissue binding up moving/flexing parts, and help prevent muscle atrophy.

Thanks
Dave Harrison

Re: Im @ 1 week after surgery, do I really have to wear this dang boot?

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/05/04 at 15:20 (146113)

Dave,

If you've trusted your doctor to perform surgery on you, why don't you trust his/her judgement regarding the removable cast? It is obviously your doctor's experience, that this 'boot' is the preferred treatment at this time. Therefore, if you have any concerns you should be asking your doctor, not anyone on this board. Your doctor performed the surgery, now have enough confidence to follow his/her post op instructions.

Dave H on 3/05/04 at 16:44 (146126)

Dr. Wander

Thats pretty much what I expected the answer to be, my Dr. while quite good at the 'meat mechanic' (his words) aspects of podiatry, is a little lacking in communication skills and when I asked him what the boot was for I didnt get much in the way of an answer back. Since he charges by the hour and is really busy I didnt want to take up more time asking again.

So what is the boot for anyway?

Thanks

Dr. Z on 3/05/04 at 18:22 (146142)

To limit motion, protect the area that had surgery. Please tell me how I can charge by the hour I like that idea.? So is the boot the high boot cast or the ankle boot cast?

Dave H on 3/05/04 at 22:11 (146184)

Heh, according to his fee schedule office visits are broken into 20 min blocks, if it goes past the allotted time the patient is charged more. I think surgery is a set amount per procedure but the anesthesiologist is a seperate bill. The whole fee/payment/insurance thing is a nasty confusing mess. So far I've gotten seperate bills from the doctor, the hospital, and the anesthesiologist.

At any rate, the boot is huge, it goes all the way to just under the knee and when I sit down the back of it (which is fabric) hits the back of my knee. It says 'Royce Medical' and 'Equalizer' on the heel, its the one here: Boot, except the lining of mine is black. Considering what it is, its comfortable enough though.

Dave H on 3/05/04 at 22:16 (146185)

Odd, link didnt work, its at: http://www.anatechinc.com/Walker.html

Amy M. on 3/06/04 at 18:19 (146266)

Dave,
I'd DEFINITELY wear it if your doctor told you to.

Mine put me in a post op shoe after the same surgery and I'm having LOTS of problems now.

Good Luck to you.

Amy in Minnesota