Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF for 3 years

Posted by nabila A on 3/05/04 at 13:17 (146107)

hello I'm new to this was recommended by a friend.
I have had heel pain for three years now was told it was PF and a heel spur about 2 yrs ago. I thought that it would get better with NSAID it didnt so i thought that i could walk through it which has obviously made it worse, since then I now have achilles tendonitus,(there is lump which has been on my achilles tendon for about a year now, and I can feel another developing on the other heel, I have also had knee pain for about 9 mths and have been told that it is Patella femeral syndrome, I am receiving Physio and am under the consultant at the hospital, i have just had a steroid injection and am going to see a Podiatrist, but I feel like all hope is lost, I feel it has gone too far now, by not treating it early enough have I caused the damage to my achilles and to my knee and does anyone know what the treatment to all three may be. Please Help

Re: PF for 3 years

Kathy G on 3/06/04 at 11:04 (146208)

I am so sorry to hear of your problems. Many of us, like you, found out that hard way that you can't walk through the pain of PF and it will only get worse. Do not give up hope, though. Many of the posters to these Boards have recovered from PF and you can, too.

You may get some helpful advice from your podiatrist. I truly believe they are the right doctors to see for PF because they deal with it frequently. You will find a wealth of information in Scott's Heel Pain book. You may have to try different approaches until you find the one that works for you.

Good luck! There's light at the end of the tunnel!

Julie on 3/06/04 at 11:27 (146214)

Of course you can get better. Lots of people have 'walked through the pain', and yes, that doesn't help, but you can still get better! I'm glad you're going to see a podiatrist, and hope that he or she will be able to put you on the road to recovery.

Do read the heel pain book as Kathy has suggested (click on the blue words). It will fill you in on the causes of plantar fasciitis and on the many things you can do to help yourself. The thing about PF is that it is an injury, a tearing-away of the plantar fascia at its insertion point in the heel bone. The resulting inflammation and pain can be quite severe, as you have experienced.

A few things that were helpful to me when I developed PF four years or so ago (I have been over it for more than three years):

Never go barefoot, not even to go to the toilet at night.

Always wear good, stable, supportive shoes. For me, this has meant good walking shoes or trainers outdoors, Birkenstock sandals - which have been helpful to many - indoors.

Try taping your foot: you will find instructions in the heel pain book. Taping supports the arch, relieves the pain, and rests the fascia, helping it to heal.

Custom orthotics. These are needed when a biomechanical fault, such as overpronation, strains the fascia. Your podiatrist should be able to evaluate your biomechanics, diagnose any problems, and suggest appropriate treatment, including orthotics if they are called for.

Rest as much as you can. In all likelihood your knee pain is a knock-on effect of your PF - you probably altered the way you walk to accommodate the pain, and that put an extra strain on your knee.

Finally, don't blame yourself for not taking it seriously enough in the past. You're doing so now, so you've taken control of the situation, and that's good. Be patient, do all you can to inform and help yourself, and you will heal.

nabila A on 3/06/04 at 12:43 (146223)

thanks for both your comments, it was really good to hear from yous, and to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel,as im sure you know it doesnt feel like it at the moment.
I also get a lot of pain and aching in the back of my heels, even when im in bed and also when i rest my hells on something, do you think that this is part of the PF or part of the achilles tendonitus?
What treatment did you have?