Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

callous and scar tissue bottom of foot from surgery

Posted by carolyn on 3/07/04 at 08:32 (146330)

ANY NON SURGICAL HELP???
QUITE PAINFUL

Re: callous and scar tissue bottom of foot from surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/11/04 at 20:27 (146750)

Carolyn:
One of the most effective combinations of medications that can be used to get rid of scar tissue is hyaluronidase plus triamcinolone acetonide. Those two ingredients are mixed with a local anesthetic and injected into the scar -- 3 weeks later the scar/scar tissue can be greatly reduced.
Ed

carolyn on 3/12/04 at 20:23 (146829)

THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE, BUT ALREADY HAD INJECTIONS AND THEY WERE VERY PAINFUL AND DID NOT HELP..
ANYTHING NON INVASIVE I COULD TRY??

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/13/04 at 11:12 (146872)

carolyn:
1)The injections need not be very painful -- that is an issue of technique.
2)It depends WHAT WAS IN THE INJECTIONS as that will determine whether they will work or not. Please tell me (or try to find out) the ingredients of the injections.
Ed

carolyn on 3/13/04 at 11:33 (146875)

I think they went too deep in the foot.
I HAD TWO SUGERIES FOR NEUROMA, FIRST DORSAL APPROACH BY A PODIATRIST, GREW BACK. SECOND PALTAR APPROACH BY ORTHOPEDIST FROM hOSPITAL FOR SPECIAL SURGERY IN NEW YORK, HIS SPECIALTY!!! gOOD MAN, BUT THESE THINGS HAPPEN.
JUST SO PAINFUL TO THINK OF ANOTHER INJECTION.. THEY USED WHAT YOU SUGGESTED. aGAIN THANK YOU FOR AN INTELLIGENT REPLY

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/13/04 at 15:58 (146885)

carolyn:
I thought you were referring to surgery on the plantar fascia. One cannot go 'too deep' in neuroma surgery. I really have to wonder as I have never seen that type of injection not work for scar tissue especially in the area we are discussing since it is such an easy area to releive scar tissue. Time to look at some other possibilities. Here is one of the more common scenarios: neuroma pain can be hard to localize -- if one has continued pain after neuroma surgery it is time to check up on the diagnosis. The most common scenario I have seen is pain referred from an adjacent interspace, that is, another neuroma nearby that has yet to be found but causing referred pain to the area. Again, the injection does not have to be painful -- it is a matter of technique but that may not be relevant here anyway.
Ed

carolyn on 3/13/04 at 18:03 (146890)

I DID HAVE A SECOND NEUROMA THAT WAS REMOVED.
tHE SCAR ON THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOT IS HARD AND CALLOUSED WITH THE UNDERLYING AREA SORE AND HARD..
i DO MASSAGE BUT AM ON MY FEET ALL DAY.. REGISTERED NURSE!!
wILL TRY ANYTHING TOPICAL
THANKS AGAIN
cAROLYN

Dr. Z on 3/13/04 at 20:24 (146895)

I was serious about the metatarsal padding.

carolyn on 3/14/04 at 09:35 (146931)

How and wear do you put it on your foot??

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/14/04 at 18:05 (146983)

carolyn:
Again, I have to wonder what OTHER things are at play here -- a neuroma in an adjecent interspace, 'dropped' metatarsals that need both padding and support, possibly via an orthotic.... Needs a good look!
Ed

Kim on 5/04/09 at 12:37 (257280)

I have a partially torn plantar fascia located in the middle of my heel. I had steroid injections, PT, orthodics, massage therapy, stretching, strengthening, etc. Nothing helped. I am a teacher and on my feet all day. The bottom of my foot had a very hard lump. Finally, I used a small bouncy ball-- about 2 inchs in diameter. It came from a gum ball machine at the grocery store. I rubbed my foot on top of the ball while leaning some of my weight on a counter. I concentrated on the lump and surrounding area. I heard cracking and popping. It hurt a bit, but actually I felt relief. My foot was so much better immediately. I have been working on it daily. I keep puttiing pressure on it and breaking up the tissue around it. It is amazing how much it helps. I was not able to run and could barely walk. Now I am starting to do those things again. It was so simple and I couldn't believe no one else thought of it. Don't get too aggressive, start while sitting then move to standing while leaning on something.