Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Bob G on 3/08/04 at 23:26 (146498)

I am contemplating early morning rising to go to the beach to walk/jog. I will suffer no heel pain.

It took me the better part of ten years to realize the importance of rest. And then, that took me another year plus. (this is about heel pain, right?)

I have noticed that most posters want a quick fix. Actually, lately, I've noticed most posters want to participate in some kind of internet soap opera on this board.

That's cool. I just don't have time to read them all.

I just want to help somebody, and once in a while I do.

Maybe you can be cured, too.

Re: heel pain

nabila A on 3/09/04 at 01:50 (146505)

I would love if you could help me bob,
PF for 3 yrs
achilles tendonitus for 1yr plus
patella femeral syndrome for 10 mths
what can I do, have lump developed in my achilles, under hospital consultant what could he do? any ideas, and maybe you know about the knee too?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/09/04 at 06:54 (146507)

Bob, I couldn't agree more about the importance of rest!

After my bout with severe PF, achilles tendonitis, other tendonitises, bursitis, and equally painful knee problems, I have finally recovered at least for now.

Here's what helped me:

1. Rest
2. Custom orthotics
3. Birkenstocks
4. shower shoes and a shower stool
5. Never standing or taking a step without my custom orthotics or Birkenstocks on (or shower shoes in the shower)
6. Gentle non-weightbearing (sitting) stretches
7. icing with a bag of frozen peas after overdoing
8. Constantly reading and asking questions on these message boards.
9. Changing my shoes often (several times a day) as needed for comfort.

I tried many, many treatments that didn't work for me but these are the ones that did. PF cost me about $1500-$2000, mostly in the first year of investigating various self treatments. I have a drawer full of treatments that didn't work for me, such as gel heel cups, arch supports, and so on. I also have a closet full of good shoes, especially Birkenstocks. That's OK; I still wear them. So although it seemed like I was spending a whole lot on shoes when my PF was bad, I'm spending less now that I'm done with it.

Nabila, I would suggest trying these and other treatments to see what your feet respond to. Pay attention to your feet, and don't do anything that causes your feet to hurt. To me that is Rule #1 of getting over foot problems.

Carole C

Lari S on 3/09/04 at 11:00 (146533)

Luckily, I found this board and avoided the collection of things that did not work after only a couple of mistake purchases. Thanks to everyone that posts here to offer help and share their stories. It has really made a difference.

Bob G. on 3/09/04 at 23:44 (146589)

Hi, Nabila,

Sorry to learn of your frustrations. All I can offer off the top of my head is to keep studing, this site is good for research. You may well find the answers yourself. But keep trying and don't give up. Good luck to you and I hope your pain is solved soon.

Bob G. on 3/09/04 at 23:47 (146590)

Hi Carole,

Thanks for the good post. Yes, I know about drawers full of night splints and strassberg socks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/10/04 at 00:11 (146591)

We have been on a quest for the 'perfect' night splint and eventually settled on a couple brands. Rule #1 -- if it not comfortable to wear to bed, don't expect patients to wear them. Rule #2 -- explain how they are to be used.... this is a big issue because I have seen few devices that require more 'coaching' of patients than night splints. They need to be tweaked, adjusted, modified for so many a patient; a practitioner should not simply hand one out and expect things to go right but need to follow through to make sure the patient can use them and is using them correctly; find out what, if any specific problems or barriers exist to proper use and try to 'fix' those issues....