Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sesamoid fracture and amputation?

Posted by BethG on 3/09/04 at 00:48 (146502)

After having a very successful bunionectomy on my right big toe last year, I was able to run without pain 7 weeks later. Unfortunately, one day after I ran for the first time, I was rear-ended on the freeway and my right foot was on the brake, barefooted. I have had a sesamoid stress fracture from that, and it has been 10 months and I still can't walk without pain, (none from the bunion site). My doc is suggesting removing the sesamoid. Has anyone had this done? How successful is it? I am very concerned because, before all this, I was a power walker and hiker. I have custom orthotics which were made after the surgery, but I still have sesamoid pain. Any suggestions, hints, experiences? I don't want to make a bad thing worse but I want to get back on my feet and working out.

Re: sesamoid fracture and amputation?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/10/04 at 22:49 (146647)

Beth:
There are two sesamoid bones beneath the big toe joint -- the tibial hallucal sesamoid (toward the edge of the big toe joint) and the fibular hallucal sesamoid (more inward). Did your doc tell you which one was fractured?
Ed

Rae R on 5/09/05 at 11:08 (174575)

From what I have heard, having it removed is normal, but have you tried treatment to heal it first? That is, have you just been walking around on it normaly or has your doctor done anything to treat it? I just found out that I have a sesamoid stress fracture and my doctor put me in a ridged boot and I have a pad that I wear on my foot. My doctor said that only if it doesn't heal in 10 months-2 years he would suggest sugury.

MB on 5/10/05 at 13:28 (174648)

Actually, I posted that last year. Since then, I finally had a CAT scan, which is basically the only way to really confirm the diagnosis. It turns out that my sesamoid was shattered during the car accident, and the pieces are imbedded in the tendon. Some of it has grown back, but in an unusual shape. They wanted to amputate it, but my DR said to try a metatarsal pad, called a 'cookie', which has taken the pressure off. I am now usuing that all the time, rather then have the bone removed. He said as long as I can walk with little discomfort, not to have the next surgery.
thanks