Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sesamoid fracture and amputation?

Posted by BethG on 3/09/04 at 00:56 (146504)

I've done all the treatment for a sesamoid fracture (no weightbearing, off the foot for 10 months), but still painful.. Has anyone had their sesamoid removed? How did it work out?

Re: sesamoid fracture and amputation?

Dr. Z on 3/09/04 at 10:49 (146528)

I have removed the medial sesamoid bone with much sucess. I have seen bunion formation in some cases if there is a bunion present before the removal. If you have a moderate to severe bunion deformity I would address both at the same time

JudyB on 3/09/04 at 11:04 (146534)

What are the symptoms of sesamoid fractures? Only pain or burning when you walk? Or all the time? Thanks.

Dr. Z on 3/09/04 at 14:54 (146552)

Pain, limping, swelling, decrease pain of motion in the big toe joint. It hurts!!

BethG on 3/09/04 at 18:40 (146559)

Actually, my bunion was removed 2 months before the accident that caused the stress fracture. It was very successful, and I was completely pain free until the accident. Does that change the results at all?

BethG on 3/09/04 at 18:50 (146560)

For me, the first few weeks I didn't feel anything, then the pain started and it was very bad. I couldn't walk at all. Now, 10 months later, after staying off it a good deal of the time, its a dull ache only when I stand or walk too much. I can't walk for more then 5 minutes without it starting. It also seems to be affected by the weather, but I'm not sure why. My Pod told me if it stopped improving, we would have to consider removal. It's pretty much stopped, and stays at this level of pain when I walk more then 5 minutes or so.

Dr. Z on 3/09/04 at 22:08 (146584)

The weather type pain is because the sesamoid joint surface may have arthritic changes