Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

8 months post op

Posted by Rose on 3/10/04 at 13:04 (146609)

I had an open release on the bottom of my foot 8 months ago. I am still hving severe first step pain and having lots of pain if I stand still more than say 4-5 minutes or walk more than say 10 minutes. There is pain where the incision was on the bottom of the foot and pain in the inner ankle at times.
I have been doing physical therapy exercises every day and deep tissue massage. Sometimes I am walking along and my ankle almost gives out. I have good orthodics, wear onlyt New Balance or Birks around the house, and stay off my feet as much as possible to avoid so much pain.
Does anybody have any comments or suggestions? I know this may take at least a year to heal, but right now it is actually more painful than before the surgery. I will be seeing my surgeon next Monday. he is nopt pleased with the pain and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to what I might ask him or ask for?
Thanks so much.

Re: 8 months post op

Pauline on 3/10/04 at 14:36 (146616)

Looking back at your earlier posts did you also have TTS surgery along with the open P.F. release. You spoke about both plus surgery for a neruoma. Was all of it done together or did you just opt for the P.F. release?

Your case sounds similar to another poster, Tammie. Hopefully she will post a response. Tammie eventually found help at a pain clinic and can probably shed some light on this situation for you.

I'm sorry you're still getting no relief from your surgery. Do you know how much of your P.F. was actually cut and has the doctor mentioned anything about scar tissue having formed or nerve entrapment? You might want to ask about these things.

I'd be very certain of it's cause before submitting to any additional surgery with him or anyone else. No use having more surgery until you really know what's causing the problem.

Wishing you luck and hopefully some pain relief.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/10/04 at 15:40 (146622)

One can still have ESWT performed even after surgery. Dr. Z has a lot of experience with this. Sunny Jacob (see the ESWT board) feels that high energy ESWT be used if surgery was tried before.

Dr. Z on 3/10/04 at 16:03 (146624)

ESWT can be used for failed pf release. Very important to rule off TTS, Nerve entrapement and or stress fracture. An MRI may be helpful as well as maybe a second opinion. Sometimes a cast is needed to rest the foot . I use a slipper cast to get the weight off the foot and at the same time keep your ankle of motion intact. Time is another fact with pf surgery . It take a very long time.
Before I would consider ESWT I would need to rule out any other cotributing factors that I mentioned above

Rose on 3/11/04 at 09:01 (146676)

Thank you all for the replies. I had the open release on one foot and the neuroma surgery on the other at the same time. My doctor has ordered a nuerve conduction test for me in about three weeks to rule out possible TTS. He really doesn't want to do any more surgery if possible. I believe the release was between 1/3 to 1/2, I was told. If it were a stress fracture wouldn't it hurt all the time when I walked? I just might be a long recovery. I am 60 and overwieght and that might be a contributing factor. I also know that I hve a lot of arthritus throughout my body. I might be part of the foot and ankle pain. Yes???
I will keep you all posted. I see the doctor this coming Monday.