Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another Orthotic

Posted by john h on 3/11/04 at 11:44 (146697)

http://www.orthodynamics.com/heellite.html

Re: Another Orthotic

Carl on 3/12/04 at 06:51 (146766)

John, have you tried the HEEL-LITE? If so, I was just wondering what you thought about them. I have a (modified) pair that are quite helpful. The lab added extrinsic rear foot posting and arch filler. The modification (providing extra stability and support) was recommended since I am very active. I have flat feet and over-pronate. My plantar fascitis and heel pain have all but vanished since I started using them.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/12/04 at 23:09 (146838)

John:
I use a modest amount of pre-fab orthotics in my office. If they are adequate to do the job-- ie. enough support and in the right places they have a good chance to work. There is a fair amount of trial and error that one must go through when obtaining such devices through the mail -- sometimes one gets lucky and sometimes not. Having an array of such devices available for evaluation at one place would be better so that one could make a more informed choice.
Ed

john h on 3/15/04 at 09:49 (147039)

Ed: On the site I posted they said they would give a free consult so I tried it out. I gave my height,weight,shoe size, type of foot,problems,etc and actually got a nice letter from their lab. Someone had told me I needed an orthotic with a deeper heelcup than my custom Footmax which actually have no heelcup. Their lab guy wrote me that with PF a deep heelcup was not the answer for PF and went on to give me an explanation. His message was not some canned deal but he took the time to read what I wrote.

Ed: Who is better qualified to recommend an orthotic and what type. A Podiatrist or Pedo---(you spell it)? I have seen many Podiatrist and have had three different custom sets made over the past 10 years. One soft, one semi rigid (current) and one hard. All costing around $300 +. No one ever asked me to walk and watch my gait. Have me stand and see if I had flat,normal or high arch feet. All just cast my feet and I had the feeling put me in what ever orthotic they were selling that day. How do I find someone who will take the time to attempt to figure out what kind of orthotic I should be in if any at all?