Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HOW LONG DID YOU NEED OFF WORK?

Posted by Claire on 3/12/04 at 11:04 (146786)

Hello. I would like to know how much time in general you guys had off work after TTS release? Thanks.

Re: HOW LONG DID YOU NEED OFF WORK?

lauriel on 3/12/04 at 16:29 (146812)

I have a desk job and was off for 2 weeks. I tried going back after the first week but it was too much having my foot down all the time even though I wasnt on it. And then I used a box to prop it up with a pillow for a couple of weeks after that
Laurie

Terri on 3/13/04 at 10:08 (146865)

I took one week off and also had a desk job. Got a wheelchair with a leg extension which I kept at the office and was able to keep my foot elevated all day long.

Claire on 3/15/04 at 06:46 (147028)

Thanks for your replies. How have your recoveries been seeing as you went back to work so early?

James C on 3/15/04 at 12:07 (147049)

Hello I still have not gone back to work and I have been off of work for 6 weeks. I am a mail carrier and I walk several miles a day.I had tts surgery as well as pf surgery and it is all I can do to walk 5 steps without crutches.I have a walking boot that helps me some but I can barely stand long enough to take a shower. The worst thing about all of this is that I have to go through all of this again with my right foot. Good Luck

Ann L on 3/15/04 at 17:05 (147069)

James,

Don't push it too much. My aunt had TTS surgery and tendon and ligament repair Dec 23 - 13weeks ago and is still unable to return to work. She also is a mail carrier with a partial walking route - she has about 2 1/2 hours of her route that is walking. Our doctor (I had surgery by the same doc 4weeks ago) has not released her to do the walking part of her route and the PO she works for cannot cover the walking part of her route, so she is still off. I'm a nurse and spend most of my shift on my feet and he wants me off 3 months with release to work dependent on my progress. Both my aunt and I are in walking boots - she's in 1 and I'm in 2. She is finally able to wear a shoe with a high ankle some, but not a plain tennis shoe. I have strict instructions at this point not to walk at all without my boots on (still using a shower chair to take a shower.) Good luck in your recovery.

Ann

Claire on 3/16/04 at 09:05 (147112)

I should imagine it will take a while with both surgeries performed at once. Take it easy, make sure you stay off your feet/foot. I wish you all the best. p.s. u tried sitting down in the shower.

Claire on 3/16/04 at 09:08 (147114)

Hello Ann. How did your/aunts doctor know the tendon and ligament had been damaged? What type of pain was it producing? Wishing you a good recovery and take it easy.

Ann L on 3/16/04 at 17:54 (147152)

Hi Claire,
My aunt had no idea that she had any damage. She does not know of any particular injury before the onset of pain, tho it did seem to progress rather abruptly. She complained of tenderness, radiating pain, tingling, burning pain, positive Tinel's. She was originally seen by our local pod, who diagnosed her with TTS and possible tendonitis. He felt she was a definite surgical case, so did not perform any testing - just plain Xrays. He sent her to see our surgeon - Dr Bishop in Houston, TX. When he examined her foot, he felt what he suspected to be a possible tear in her tendon. He did Xrays - high tech - they even show some soft tissue, he verified she had a torn tendon. When he did surgery, he discovered the torn ligament as well. He said that both the tendon and ligament were shredded, but was able to repair both.
Ann