Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chart that shows where it hurts

Posted by JudyB on 3/14/04 at 14:06 (146953)

Someone here had a chart which I found. I think it's great. It numbers all the areas on the foot.

My foot hurts on area 31 and 32 and sometimes number 62, on the diagram on the left (The one that shows looking at the foot from the bottom).

Also like the writer I also get pain on that purple area, on the side of the foot. What a weird place to have pain, huh?

http://www.geocities.com/CLCinNOLA/footpain.html

Re: Chart that shows where it hurts -- GOOD IDEA

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/14/04 at 18:10 (146987)

To ScottR:
This is an interesting idea. It needs to show the foot from more angles but would be a way that patients can better refer to areas of concern (adds some specificity). Any possibility of incorporating this concept into the Ask the Doc Board?
Ed

Re: Carole C.'s chart...

Suzanne D. on 3/14/04 at 18:23 (146992)

I remember when Carole C. devised this chart for us months/years ago. It made a lot of sense then, and it still does now. It is helpful in describing to others exactly where pain is located.

Thanks again, Carole!
Suzanne :)

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/15/04 at 08:59 (147034)

Suzanne:
Yes, thanks to Carole too. We need top (dorsal), bottom (plantar) ,medial (inside of foot) and lateral (outside of foot) views to make it work.
Ed

RonB on 3/15/04 at 20:56 (147088)

Judy B
Its weird how we all get pain in different areas with PF. you said you get pain in 31,32,62 and the purple area. I too get pain in the purple area but it is farther back more on the side of the heel. its a burning pain. I don't get pain in the other areas you mentioned. I get it in # 59,64,65,68,69,70. I too get the sharp knife pain in the red area on the heel. Thanks for the drawing Carole!
Ron B

JudyB on 3/15/04 at 22:43 (147097)

Hi Ron, thanks for writing.

I actually get it there too at first, and then it goes up to the ball of my feet.

For example today I was fine but then doing a lot of walking I notice my heel starting to hurt/burn, within 30 minutes, the ball of my feet had the same feeling.

RonB on 3/15/04 at 23:25 (147101)

Judy
Like I said its weird that everyone gets pain in different spots. I never get pain in my arch or in my toes or the ball of my feet. its all in the heel except the burning on the side of the heel. good luck with your fight against the nasty PF !!!
RonB

Carole C in NOLA on 3/16/04 at 18:56 (147155)

You're welcome, Suzanne! I'm glad if it helps anybody. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 3/16/04 at 19:04 (147156)

You're very welcome, Ron! I had completely forgotten about this drawing, and I'm glad if it is helpful.

Drawing it (in Paint Shop Pro) kept me off my feet for a few hours, at a time when my PF was still quite painful.

Carole C

Re: Chart that shows where it hurts

Jamie on 3/17/04 at 08:42 (147163)

My pain seems to be highly concentarted in the 68, 69, 70 areas of the foot. I think the outside of the heel has healed up a good bit. but the inside just stings so bad every time i try to sprint and its pretty frustarting.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/17/04 at 20:08 (147196)

Ow, it almost hurts to read about it while looking at 68, 69, and 70. :)

You probably know what helps your feet the most. If it was my feet, I'd try icing when it hurts, and staying off of them for a while longer.

In the past I've noticed that deep in that particular area of my heel is what would hurt most if I stretched too hard while doing my gentle stretching (so a twinge there tells me to stop). I'm not sure what that means, but I can certainly relate to having pain there.

Carole C

Buck T. on 3/18/04 at 10:46 (147210)

This chart would be great to do at home and then take with you to the doctor to show exactly where pain occurs. Especially if he were thinking about injecting it next visit. Maybe even help with adjusting orthotics.

Buck

Carole C in NOLA on 3/18/04 at 17:50 (147240)

Please feel free to print it out and use it like that.

On the bottom of the page there are blank templates of the foot from the bottom and the side, without the circles, and they might be the most helpful for this purpose.

You could color in your own painful regions after printing them out, and show it to the doctor.

Actually, now that I think of it, you could probably just color on your actual foot with a felt tipped pen. But if you'd rather take the drawing, you are more than welcome to do so.

Carole C

Chris K on 3/19/04 at 09:07 (147295)

Hello,

This is exactly what I have been looking for, hopefully now someone can help me.

I have had constant pain in the following location on both right and left feet for 11 months and have been unable to run at all(See footcharts in link). Circles 29 and 35 in the top chart are where I feel the pain most (as well as on the edge of my feet). Could it be TTS ? or is it symptomatic of something else ?

http://www.geocities.com/CLCinNOLA/footpain.html

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Buck T. on 3/19/04 at 11:50 (147308)

Carole: In past I did use a magic marker to print a bulls eye on my foot. The doctor said it helped him.

Buck