Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching

Posted by john h on 3/15/04 at 10:38 (147042)

I posted this the other day on the social board but think it worth posting on this board: I got this from Prevention Magazine as a treatment for PF:

while sitting in a chair cross one leg over the other and grasp the toes and ball of the foot and lift up so as to place moderate tension on the fascia. You will see the fascia tendon protruding. Hold the stretch for about 5 seconds. Do this several times and 5 or 6 times through out the day. Since you can do it anywhere it is easy to do and is none weight bearing. Control the stretch by starting gently and working up as the days go by. You may want to massage the fascia while in the stretch.

I find this very easy and you can stick with it as you can always sit in a chair and remove a shoe.

Re: Stretching

RonB on 3/15/04 at 19:10 (147081)

John h
Man its been about a month since I last posted here. My pod told me to try this stretch your talking about. I do use it. it is easy too do.
In one of your earlier posts (I think to Berry) you mentioned a burning feeling. I get that on the outside of my left heel. My pod told me to try acupuncture for it (not for PF) today I had my 4th treatment. its helped a little bit but not alot.but I like the treatment, it is relaxing. she use's 28 needles. One in the top of my head,one in my forehead, then the rest in my arms, legs and feet.
I too get the pain in the same place you mentioned, on the instep and if I push on it, it hurts!!! didn't someone post here a while back about rubbing this area with your thumb??

JudyB on 3/15/04 at 22:44 (147098)

I do that stretching too. I wonder if sometimes I overstretch it.

RonB on 3/15/04 at 23:19 (147100)

JudyB
sometimes I wonder if I overstretch too. I go very easy now
RonB

Peter A on 3/16/04 at 09:00 (147111)

I have been doing this for several days, since John H's first post on this stretch. I find it very helpful. It gives a sense of relief if my pf feels tight -- i.e., it definitely helps to relax my foot. It's still too soon to reach any conclusions about long-term benefits, but I'm definitlely making progress, so this does not seem to be creating any problems, at least. It's a very easy way to do a non-weight bearing stretch, so it can be done several times during the day while I'm at my desk. Saturday, I was even doing it during a day-long county political convention! Thanks for the tip, John.

john h on 3/16/04 at 09:39 (147123)

Peter it is also easy to do while lying in bed. I usually do it a couple of times beforer going to sleep.

john h on 3/16/04 at 09:44 (147125)

Ron: At one time I tried accupuncture and had about 8 treatments. It did not help. My PF started off with a burning feeling but after about a year the burning disappeared and was replaced with a pain much like a stone bruise and it has remained that way until the present. I am much better than I was 8 years ago or else I have adjusted to the pain. It is sometimes hard to look back and compare your present pain with pain you had 8 years past.Buring as most know is normally associated with nerve pain which could come from TTS. You might give compression socks a go as an internal vericose vein in the tarsal tunnel could be pressing on a nerve and compression socks help keep the blood from pooling and moving.

Vern S. on 3/16/04 at 10:03 (147128)

I asked my Pod, Anthony Fredrigo, about that type of stretch. He was not familiar with it, but opined it would seem difficult to pull hard enough with your hand to get a beneficial stretch.
Beats me who is correct.

john h on 3/17/04 at 10:27 (147167)

Vern you can really pull on the fascia hard enough to make it really protrude out. Of course the fascia does not 'stretch' as it is a tendon. Anything harder than what you can do with your hands would seem to me to be to much for many PF patients. The good thing about this method is you have complete control and your foot is going to tell you if you are doing it to hard. If one wants stronger tension then you can go to the stair step method which cannot always be controlled if you slip.

Buck T. on 3/18/04 at 10:37 (147209)

This type of stretching is better for me. Sometimes I think I do stretch too much, but it's better than weight bearing stretches.

Am in physical therapy and therapist insists wall stretches and pulling toes back with a belt or rope look work for 98 percent of pf cases. He understands my situation and doesn't make me do these. But I was wondering, does anyone have an idea what percentage the weight bearing stretches help. Maybe I should ask the doctors.

Buck

john h on 3/18/04 at 13:32 (147223)

Buck I would guess it varies from patient to patient. It would be unlikely there are any studies to give us this type of info. Actually most of what I read and most of the Doctors I have seen recommend weight bearing stretches. Most do not seem to understand there is a difference.The best stretches are probably the ones you take the time to do on a regular basis. So many stretches require you to do things you cannot do at any time or any place and people tend to let them slip.