Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Two different diagnosis

Posted by pande on 3/15/04 at 15:22 (147064)

I've had foot pain for more than 10 years. In one foot the pain is mainly in the heel. The more I stand the worse it is. Resting helps but the pain is always there. Whether I'm standing or sitting it feels like I have a rock in my shoe. The inside of my heel near the arch is tender with tingly and sometimes a burning sensation. The back of my heels are so tender I can't prop them up on anything. When I elevate my legs I let my feet dangle off the foot rest. If anything even taps them it feels like someone has rammed a shopping cart into the back them.

The other foot has pain at the base of my second toe. It feels like it needs to be popped but it won't. When I try, the pain intensifies. A pad on an insert I was given to 'float' the toe seemed to help but the pain is still there.

I've recently visited two different doctors and gotten two different diagnoses. The first diagnosed plantar fasciitis. He tried: steroids, anti-inflammatories, cortisone injections, inserts, orthodoxs and taping. Nothing gave me relief. He suggests a non-cutting surgery which my insurance company did not approve.

The second doctor has diagnosed tarpal tunnel. She tried anti-inflammatories and taping. Nothing helped. She then gave me an injection just behind my ankle bone and numbed the nerve. This gave me more relief than I've ever had. As soon as the numbness wore off the pain came right back.

What next?

Re: Two different diagnosis

Lara on 3/17/04 at 04:30 (147161)

If you search the archives, there should be a couple of threads about treatments. Another easy non-invasive treatment to try is compression socks (the ones folks wear for varicose veins or after surgery) Some people find they are painful and then take them off. On the other end of the spectrum I consider them 'magic socks'. It was the difference between crawling around on the floor and what looks like a relatively normal life (although I know there are things I do, and don't do, that would be otherwise if I didn't have TTS)

P.S. It appears not unusual for TTS to be misdiagnosed as PF - TTS is relatively new on the medical scene and many good doctors aren't familiar with it.