Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Bunions

Posted by Shirley B on 3/15/04 at 17:30 (147071)

I have had bunions on my feet for as long as I can remember, I'm 36 years old and would like to get these taken off, but not sure how affordable it would be, can you give me and estimation of about how much this would cost, is it wise to have them both done at the same time?

Thank you

Re: Foot Bunions

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/15/04 at 18:02 (147074)

Shirley,

First I'd like to ask whether you have any discomfort from your bunions. If there is no pain, you may want to reconsider. If there is pain, and you have insurance, the surgery should be covered by your insurance carrier. The surgical fee can vary greatly, and if you have no insurance the surgeon's fee will probably be between $1,500 and $3,000 depending on your location. Additionally, if the surgery is performed at a hospital or surgery center, there will be facility fees, anesthesia fees, etc. Once again, if you have pain and you have insurance it should be covered. My preference is to perform surgery on one foot at a time, though there are always exceptions. Let me know where you live and I'll see if I can make some recommendations regarding doctors in your area.