Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My Kitty fell out of a tree

Posted by john h on 3/18/04 at 10:27 (147208)

One of my cats went missing a week ago. A neighbor said she had seen him fall out of a tree but he appeared to be ok. I searched the neighborhood,vets,postman,etc and had almost given up. This morning after a terrible thunderstom last night he appeared on my back poarch with an injured rear leg. The vet just called me and the leg is broken in multiple places. He will have surgery today and have pins and screws inserted and I will have to keep him in a cage (I have one about 4' x 4' for 6-8 weeks but supposedly should be a regular guy again when the bones heal. You do not even want to know what this cost but you do what you got to do. My only guess is he may have been hiding under my deck in a spot where I could not see. I do keep water and food in the back yard. He was purring when I picked him up but one can only guess what kind of pain he must have been in with multiple breaks of the bones. His name is George and he is solid white with a black tail. Say a prayer for George.

Re: My Kitty fell out of a tree

Suzanne D. on 3/18/04 at 10:49 (147211)

John, I'm really sorry about your cat's injuries. Here's hoping George will do just fine in surgery and that he'll be back to his old self in a few weeks.

He must trust you to come back to the porch in pain. He knew you would take care of him!

Best wishes,
Suzanne :)

Paul S on 3/18/04 at 11:34 (147215)

Sorry to hear about George. He brings to mind our last two cats, Stuff & Nonsense. Give him another couple of months and he'll stop imitating a tripod.

Cheers - Paul S

Anne H. on 3/18/04 at 11:38 (147216)

John: I'm so sorry to hear about George. He sounds like a very special and delightful cat (I have 2 myself). I'll be sending good thoughts to both you and George. Please keep us posted, okay?

Warmest wishes, Anne

Dr. Z on 3/18/04 at 12:12 (147220)

John

You will be surprised how well Cats/Dogs do with this type of surgery. Our friends are so helpless. Take care

Carole C in NOLA on 3/18/04 at 12:17 (147221)

John, I'm sorry to hear about George's injuries! I'm glad he returned and I'm sure he is getting the best of care. He sounds like a beautiful and loving cat, and I'm glad you found him alive.

Carole C

marie on 3/18/04 at 13:46 (147224)

Cats have always had a special place in my heart. Poor little guy. George is in my prayers and I will ask St. Francis to keep an eye out for him.

best wishes marie

Necee on 3/18/04 at 15:56 (147231)

I'm so glad that George was rescued. Animals aren't stupid, he knew that if he returned home you would take care of him.
He had to have been in extreem pain, but he found comfort in your arms when you picked him up.
Let us know how he's doing.

Necee

Kathy G on 3/19/04 at 09:04 (147293)

John,

I hope that George is recuperating nicely. When I was in high school, my family had a cat named Smokey. He came home hurt but we couldn't figure out what was wrong with him except that he wasn't acting right. We brought him to the Vet and he said he had a hernia and probably got it from being hit by a car. He said he needed it surgically repaired.

My family didn't have much money so it was a huge decision as to whether we should spend the money on the operation but the decision was that we had to do it. I remember it cost $50. This was back in 1966 or so and that was a lot of money then, especially to our family.

Smokey survived the surgery and had to wear a bandage that looked like a saddle for some weeks after and he had to have special food. What's sad is that a couple of years later, because of my stupid allergies, my mother had to have Smokey put to sleep.

I well remember how much a member of the family that cat had become so I totally understand your spending money on George. I hope he bounces back quickly. Hmmm...maybe that was a poor choice of words! Hope he recovers nicely!!